Nitrate/Phosphate test and NO3:PO4 -X

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

Hi,

I just did a nitrate test and phosphate test and the results were 0 in both tests.

But I have this algae problem that is starting to get out of control.

I purchased NO3:pO4-X from Red Sea, should I use it even though the test were negative?

Thanks.

Oh and how much should I dose for a 36 gallon tank?

Thanks

What test kit did you use?
You might take your water to a LFS and have them tested just to get confirmation on your test results.

Also, your reading may be zero because the algae is consuming all the PO4 and NO3.

Seachem phosphate test and Aquarium pharmaceutical for nitrate.

Do you think using no3po4x will have any negative problems if my nitrates and phosphates are zero?

If they are truly zero, what could be causing the algae? I only have the lights on 6 hours a day.

overfeeding the tank, lights, lack of flow in tank...how long has the tank been up and running?

well over a year, lots of flow in the tank which is 36 gallons and the two fish in the tank eat every bit of food given to them. Math have never been my strong point, how much no3po4x should I dose in 36 gallons of water? Thanks

I would not dose that stuff until you know the source of your issues. You have P that is just the way it is nothing lives without P. If its alive your feeding it some how some way.
Start at the beginning. Check your RO water, saltwater and tank water. Check for detritus, check everywhere look in your overflow box and sump. Stir your sand in spots if you have a shallow sand bed. If its there you need to find it.

Don

I agree with Don..

I would not dose this product until your find the root cause of your NO3/PO4.

+1 +1 for both NC2WA and DonW suggestions, also you may want to either try a different test kit like Elos or Salifet or take some water to LFT to get tested if possible. But i agree DO NOT ADD NOTHING TILL YOU KNOW WHAT THE CAUSE IS!!!

Last edited:
Seachem phosphate test and Aquarium pharmaceutical for nitrate.

Do you think using no3po4x will have any negative problems if my nitrates and phosphates are zero?

If they are truly zero, what could be causing the algae? I only have the lights on 6 hours a day.
You really should give the tank at least 8 hours of light. Since there is algae, your nitrates and phosphate are not actually zero, the algae is using it to thrive so your tests will show zero. I use the NO3:po4-X, it is a good product, a source of carbon i.e. carbon dosing.

Could LED lights be the cause?
Not more likely than any other light source,
well over a year, lots of flow in the tank which is 36 gallons and the two fish in the tank eat every bit of food given to them. Math have never been my strong point, how much no3po4x should I dose in 36 gallons of water? Thanks
The pamphlet in the NO3:po4-X box is a tad difficult to understand. I will go off my 25 gal for you and tweak it. Add 3 ml. a day for the first 5 days and observe the results. If you still have remnants of algae after that keep dosing until the algae is all gone. Once gone, the maintenance dose should be 3 ml every other day or even every 2 days. You will figure it out by the condition of the tank. Really, the source doesn't matter as much as the fact that unwanted algae is present. Phosphate gets into the tank through a variety of means and can not always be found.

Back