nitrate reducer's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

plack

Sea Otter
Has any one tried one of the say from aqua medic or homemade. I am curious how expensive it is for the denimar powder how much my 180 gallon with say 10 fish would use ?

I've always wanted to try one in the beginning of my saltwater hobby experience, but no-one seemed to like them really. They were telling me that the flow has to be exact otherwise they won't work etc. Hope you get great feedback now because it has been over a year since I asked about them and even more since I believe I did for the first time:)

well don w
I never had any in my 55 gallon.
My 180 has to much. I am currently trying to make it easier to do water changes and I saw someone selling one of these. I thought I saw dang asking about one a long time ago so I am asking about the cost.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only fighting Nitrate issues. Even though I do 10-15% WC weekly. I've been expermenting a little with not feeding as much and running some carbon to see if ithelps. I didn't think I feed to much, but i've cut back a little and going to do a WC today to see if they stay down. I have seen a slight drop since running carbon. :)

Here's my thread:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18166

Wow,

I hardly ever do a water change and (knock on wood) my nitrates, nitrites, and Ammonia have been 0. Sorry to hear that you guys are having trouble.

Could that have something to do with it? I don't know. I've always run DSB in my tanks and never had a problem. I also use tap more than RODI. I don't know if its the cause but its just an idea.

rodi water/deep sand bed/I know I need water changes and more frequently and am working on that !! I know the basics I just want to know if anyone has used this ?

i made one one time but never used it....ended up giving it away.

i made it from 3" PVC about 24" with 1/4" ice maker line coiled inside, and bio-balls in the center. small little valves on top for in/out.

he told me it worked but took a couple weeks to get broke in. i dont know how well it worked exactly but it did.

i made one one time but never used it....ended up giving it away.

i made it from 3" PVC about 24" with 1/4" ice maker line coiled inside, and bio-balls in the center. small little valves on top for in/out.

he told me it worked but took a couple weeks to get broke in. i dont know how well it worked exactly but it did.

Do you have any pics of it?

i used to...where the pics are now i have no clue. it was about 5 years ago, maybe more......its real easy to build though. i got the idea from a search on RC i think.
now that i am thinking about it. one improvement i would have made is to add an IV style dripper on it to better control the flow rates. you only want i think 1-2 gal per hour cycle rate.....

i feel like im blowing dust off old encyclopedias in my head here....lol

No problem. I was just wondering what it looked like. I'll take a look at RC to see if I can find it.. Thanks.

Back