Noice aquarium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wlavaughn57

I have a 240 gal. aquarium with 2 stand pipes and 1 overflow box. I recently changed my stand pipes to the Durso stand pipes but still have some noice problems. My plumbing for my sump has both stand pipes coming down seperetly and most connections are not glued, could that be causing some of the flushing sound.

Welcome to RF!! Hope you enjoy it here:) As for your noise issues, any chance to get a pic?? It would help a lot. Depending on how the plumbing is done, it could cause a bit of noise and also how it enters the sump. I had to put a T on my input to my sump on an old setup te get rid of gurgling sounds. In addition, if all the plumbing is new, it may need time to slime up some to quiet down, but couldn't say for sure if that is your case:)

is the flushing sound constant, or does it come and go periodically?
the unglued connections might be a problem if it is allowing air to get into the pipes. another, more common problem with the dursos is the air inlet hole(s) on top not being properly sized. if they are too small, then it can cause a cycling, or flushing, sound. i think that they can be too large also, causing a more constant noise.

Last edited:
Doing alot of maintenance I go to Ace Hardware,buy dripper fittings for a backyard dripper system,drill a small hole on top of the durso and thread it in. This way I can adjust the hole size on top of the durso to do away with any noise. It also lets me adjust the water level in the overflow.
Matt

Back