Not exactly new...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
I have a 29 softie and LPS reef right now well we would like to upgradeto a 100 gallon.

So far i now i need a skimmer and a sump, what will i need to dose for the corals? I cant imagine dosing that big of a tank every day like i do my little one but i dont know much about what bigger tanks need. Other then a skimmer what should i get?

calcium reacter? I dont even know what that is i just see bigger tanks with them....get my drift? lol little lost here we would like to start buying stuff just dont know what other then the skimmer, sump and lights. lol

dosing all depends on what your keeping. If your going sps yes your going to have to measure alk, mag, calc,and ect and dose according to the appropriate levels. Me anyways as im heavily lps and softies all they need is light and clean water in my experience.However the light you have will determine what kind of corals you can keep thus the other required equipment u may or may not need. I do however drip pytoplankton into my tank , a 24 drip and kalk and water changes. And target feed my LPS with meaty bits of food.

people usually dose when their corals consume calc faster than they can dose. So if your pretty lazy and have the money, a calc reactor may benefit you.

Last edited:
Consistancy is the best way to go. Keep the saltwater stable as possible even think about a water topoff system. Normal water changes and maintenece will give you all the nutrients you need for a few years, for now just do water changes. Do 5 G's of the Cleanest water you can get your hands on a week for optimum results.

Dont waste your time and money on anything other then RODI water and Salt. JMHO Many people dose due to many years of Heavy growth that the changes wont suffice.

Happy Reeffing!

Get a PH meter, nice to have.
+1 for ATO evep in a 100 gallon would drive you nuts carrying buckets every day..

You could drip kalk if you don't want to dose calcium and alk..
Then you just watch your MAG and ph

It will have sps's as soon as its ready. We will have MH + some other lighting just dont know what yet? Any advice there? I know the MH is good for growth but we want to add some thing for color or are there som,e good MH out there that are good for color like the acinctics (sp?)?

I do have a ro/di unit already just got new filters for it too.

I think we will try the kalk in a ATO see how that works! Didnt even think of that! Dont know why since i knew about it and was going to do it with my smaller tank!! geesh.

OK so here is my list

skimmer
sump (will a 40 gallon work with fuge?)
ATO unit
another tank for the ATO
kalk drip
Plumbing! :eek:

Back