Not sure I will ever get SW

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lisad8763

Sometimes I feel I have read just enough and talked to enough different people that I will never figure this out. I stated out this hobby asking lots of questions, but got so many confussing answers that I just gave up and let my tank sit. Well I am trying again, so I would. Appreciate positive input on how to make my tank better. I have a 55 gallon tank. It is not drilled. I have an Odysea light fixture with 2 65 watt Actinic 2 65 watt 12000 daylight bulbs and 4 blue moonlights (2 burned out do not know how to fix). I had a prizm protein skimmer which I hated and a HOB biowheel 350. I went to buy a better skimmer and HOB refugium and was sold the fluval G3. I like it a lot, but shouldn't I still have a protein skimmer? Do I need to keep running the bio wheel. I have 2. Other small jets to add flow, tons of live rock at least 100 lbs ansd crushed coral. Water parameters are pretty good and my only real problems have been hair algae and. Ph. Is not staying up. I have a large clean up crew and a yellow tang. I started the tank back up in May and have been moving slowly. Have had the tang 1 month. Changed to the G3 and havwe not used a skimmer since August.

first off welcome!!! you ph may be low due to low oxygen in the tank and minimal surface agitation for gas exchange. try adding an air stone in the tank for a day and see if your ph goes up. are you using RODI water or just regular tap.? what test kit are you using?

I use API. Test kit and have had a 7.8 ph for a couple weeks. I am still running the bio wheel but will try an airstone thanks.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!

To start with, you're using equipment that would be much better served, on a Freshwater tank or a Marine Fish Only tank. This is a common problem, when we get interested in this hobby, and don't get the best of advise. Unfortunately, the HOB filter and Canister fliters contribute to Nitrate problems. Nitrates become an issue, if you want to keep corals or anemones.

Your filtration should consist of quality live rock, combined with good flow and a protein skimmer. That's it.

Next, Are you using RO/DI water, for your water top off and to make your saltwater from? If not, this is probably another thing that's adding nitrates and phosphates to your tank.

Nitrates and Phosphates will feed the hair algae that you're battling.

The final thing I'd mention is that you may want to consider rehoming your Yellow Tang. A 55 may be a bit small, for any Tang. However, Yellow Tangs are at least smaller than most. BUT, it's not so much the size of the fish, with Tangs, as it's how much swimming room they have. Tangs need LOTS of swimming room.

So should I stop using the bio wheel and put the protein skimmer back on? I clean the filter on the bio wheel often and sometimes use it to run carbon. I do use tap water as the fish store in B'ham says that is what they do. I add salt and let it sit a day or mor sometimes runa powerhead to stir it up. I see some people buy bottled water maybe I will try that.

Believe me I have seen the tang info at this site. This one is quite small now and I will rehome if it seems to get too large. It seems very happy right now can swim al along back of rocks as well as out front.

Last edited:
I would recommend removing the Bio-Wheel and putting the skimmer back on, yes. Using your HOB Filter to only run carbon, is fine. Any other use, or using any other media bags inside it, will contribute to nuisance nitrates. Using your canister filter, strictly for running carbon only, would work even better, than the HOB Filter.

Good to know that B'ham LFS uses Tap Water. Other members, in your area, will now know not to get water from them...lol.

Tap water will fluctuate, depending on how it's treated, by your local water treatment facility. At times, it can be very high in nitrates/phosphates/chlorine/chloramine/flouride/toxic metals/etc.

RO/DI units, IMO, are a necessity, in this hobby.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!

To start with, you're using equipment that would be much better served, on a Freshwater tank or a Marine Fish Only tank. This is a common problem, when we get interested in this hobby, and don't get the best of advise. Unfortunately, the HOB filter and Canister fliters contribute to Nitrate problems. Nitrates become an issue, if you want to keep corals or anemones.

Your filtration should consist of quality live rock, combined with good flow and a protein skimmer. That's it.

Next, Are you using RO/DI water, for your water top off and to make your saltwater from? If not, this is probably another thing that's adding nitrates and phosphates to your tank.

Nitrates and Phosphates will feed the hair algae that you're battling.

The final thing I'd mention is that you may want to consider rehoming your Yellow Tang. A 55 may be a bit small, for any Tang. However, Yellow Tangs are at least smaller than most. BUT, it's not so much the size of the fish, with Tangs, as it's how much swimming room they have. Tangs need LOTS of swimming room.

+1

How big is the yellow tang?

It may be fine for now as long as it is on the smaller side.

I'd start shopping for a better skimmer and reconsider the refugium.

Yes, a biowheel's purpose is to promote aerobic bacteria to grow. This is good, but it stops there so you end up with nitrates accumulating. Your liverock will provide all the aerobic and anaerobic filtration you will need so I'd get rid of them. As for the tap water, have you ever had it tested? Alot of tap water will have nitrates and phophates in it not to mention other things you typically don't want in your tank. RO/DI water is what you want. Chances are with every water change and top off, you are adding in more fuel for the algae to grow :oops: I'd look into that asap :)

Good luck and welcome to RF!! :D

Last edited:
Thanks. I knew I should not have gone the way I did. When I went out to buy the new protein skimmer I let the person in Marysvlle talk me in to the Fluval. Wish we had a store in Skagit County. I am running only carbon with the G3. Now. Suggestions on a skimmer would be welcome

SWC makes an incredibly good HOB skimmer. There are a few other good HOB Skimmers available. However, there's also a lot of really crappy HOB skimmers, to avoid...lol. One of our Sponsors, Skimerwhisperer (Mark) can give you the best advice, when it comes to skimmers. I'd recommend posting your skimmer questions here, and Mark will address your question, probably better than anyone else could. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220

Reef Octopus is another good option for HOB..I have one on a 40g in my office, and it does a good job..water is clean and no algae in the tank..have had it for 2yrs.

Welcome to RF :)
Great advice so far everyone!
thread_is_worthless.jpg

Haha frankie, give the op some time!! :)

And BTW Lisad, Welcome to RF. These guys will help you tremendously whenever asked. No question is a dumb question either... otherwise i wouldn't be able to ask any of mine.

My biggest mistake when I started years ago was listening to multiple local fish stores. They took me to the cleaners with tons of crap that didn't work or even worse hurt my tank. The "reef stores" in general are pretty decent. Some are fantastic and others are okay. You will get the best advice right here imho. X2 on the rodi water and x2 on the octopus/swc hob skimmers. If you really like your tank, don't give up, you're at the right place :)

You may want to look into Eshopps as your hang on skimmer, Mine is a work horse and I have been very happy with it.

You may want to look into Eshopps as your hang on skimmer, Mine is a work horse and I have been very happy with it.

+1 for eshopps.

Yeah, I had the same problem with listening to the fish stores....as it is I am still trying to recover from that mistake...

I'll be little blunt so please dont be offended. These threads seem to pop up on a regular basis. Reef keeping is not an equipment collecting hobby. Nearly every question asked you would be able to answer yourself if you didnt skip the first step. Before you ever set up a marine aquaium you need to understand BASIC reef chemistry. Understand the simple biological process. This allows you to filter out the BS and query useful information.

Don

Back