Not sure what this stuff is

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

subgenius13

Hello all,
I have been lurking around for a some time while setting up my new reef tank. I have been out of the hobby for a number of years long before there was a wealth of info on the net like exists here. I'm into the 3rd week of my cycle, and things are starting to even out, so I thought I would aquascape my tank and see what things have survived the water coditions on my live rock. I found this on one of the rocks:
pinkstuff10vs.jpg

pinkstuff4rn.jpg

I'm thinking it's corraline, but I'm not certain. Any second opinions?

I'd like to thank you all for sharing all of your experience on this forum. It has helped me a great deal in planning this new project in the hobby.

Here is a picture of my current setup:

aquarium36es.jpg

I keep a record of what I am currently doing to it on my blog.

Thanks again,
Brad

Last edited:
Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! Hope you continue to enjoy the site!

For some reason, I can't see your images. I did check your blog, and the pink stuff I see on the rock does appear to be coralline. Did you cycle with cured or uncured live rock? What are your livestock plans for the tank?

I agree, the pink stuff appears to be coralline.
At first all I saw was the red X, so what I did was right click on the X to get to the properties, copy and paste the url into my browser and hit go. When I came back to rf the pictures were there.

Thanks for the warm welcome

Sorry about the pictures. Maybe blogspot doesn't like direct linking. I'll have to work on that. I appreciate the help. I've been out of the hobby for 6-7 years, and I heald on to my equipment, and finally have the resources to do it properly.
I have cycled the tank with uncured live rock that I got from a local store that had just gotten a shipment in a few days earlier and let me buy it at the uncured price. My setup is a 48g Pent show tank with a 30g aquarium that I made into a sump/refugium. I have the benifit of being able to run my overflow and retun lines into the next room, which is just storage. My filtration is a Knopp HOB skimmer and a Fluval 203 canister for Carbon and Phos sponge if needed. My lighting is 2x65w power compacts. I plan on keeping mostly softies in this tank, maybe a lps if the lighting is right. With it being so tall they would have to be tward the top. It will be light on fish maybe a royal gramma, a pair of clowns, and some crabs/snails. Are there any suggestions on stocking order? I was going to add some shooms or some buttons first.

Thanks,
Brad

Thanks for the tip Krish. I have fixed my original post. Any input of stocking order?

Thanks,
Brad

subgenius13 said:
It will be light on fish maybe a royal gramma, a pair of clowns, and some crabs/snails. Are there any suggestions on stocking order?

When your ammonia and nitrites are zero, I would start with the clean-up crew first. Add your clown pair next, and let your tank adjust to the new bioload before introducing your Royal Gramma.

Hope this helps!

Corals or fish first?

I was thinking of adding some shrooms first. Is it better to add crabs/snails and fish before then?

Thanks,
Brad

Back