Not what you want to see when you wake up.....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NC2WA

A huge crack in your glass tank which floods the garage.....:attention:

I had a 40g breeder tank which had been setup in my garage for 4 months...I was going to use it as a QT tank, but when I opened the door to the garage this morning and saw water on the garage floor, I panicked as I didn't know where the source of the water was coming from.

Once I saw then 12-18 inch crack on the front of the glass I knew where the water was from. Took my 45 mins to move LR to another tank, drain the tank, and sweep the water to the road....

Not what you want to do before going to work...but all is well now and I'm looking for another QT tank, prolly acrylic so I don't have to worry about cracking.

Hate that, glad it wasn't in your house and flooded nice floors! Do you know what made it crack?

Scotty,

haven't a clue what caused it...i have 3 other tanks in the garage and all were OK this morning..however this tank was on the floor near the door of the crawl space (but had been there for 3-4months)..all i can *guess* is the internal temp was hot and the outside was cold to the point it cracked....

i dunno....this is the first tank to crack on me in 15 yrs in the hobby...hopefully the last...

pandora,

agreed !!! can you imagine having a fish in QT and come to find half the water is gone and powerheads and heaters exposed to air..

thank god it didnt start a fire. !!

Typically when a glass tank cracks mysteriously, it was a chip that opened into a fracture and "ran"
Chips near the bottom are more likely to open into a fracture than near the top due to water pressure, but if the top is not held by a frame, it too can be under stress.

Whew. You scared me with your title and the first line of your post Kirk. I was thinking 375 gal on the floor. Thank god that it was only a mostly empty 40B.

Yea, atleast it wasn't the 375 gal!! That would have sucked although it might have been cool watching you on your web cam trying to transfer all of that stuff. Might have made YouTube :p. Naw, that would totally suck!! Glad it wasnt worse than it was. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 thank god it was ut qt tank and not ur DT in ur house!
Not ideal but ive got a 36gal bowfront sitting in my garage u could take for nearly nothing... tank, glass lid, and flourescent light.

1guy,

I may take you up on that offer...thanks.

Krish, thank god it was NOT the bigger tank...my first thought was that the skimmer was overflowing OR the 75g was leaking...

I live in Puyallup, not graham lol....can't figure out how to change it. If anything I'd be intrested in coral for it.

I was thinking I was going to see a pic of a coyote ugly women, by the title posted. lol

Sorry you had a mess to clean. Glad it was in the garage.
Is your garage heated?

peppie,

no the garage is not heated, but have kept tanks in the garage for 4 yrs and no issues til now.

peppie,

no the garage is not heated, but have kept tanks in the garage for 4 yrs and no issues til now.

The reason I ask is I am going to build a sump/frag station in my garage this summer. The total water volume of the system will be about 350gal Wouldnt it cause the water temp to swing more if the garage wasnt heated? Wouldnt you need to add more heaters in the winter? Does it cause any other problems?

well, my main display is a 375g + 120g sump..custom acrylic system made by Jason CFI...I have two 300w heaters and there are no temp flucatations...77-78 degree constant in th winter...I have had this system in the garage for 5yrs....

there are no other problems that I am aware, although, I try not to keep the garage door open too long during the winter...it will drop the temp of the tanks a couple of degrees.

on the flip and positive side (not that Im considering winter a negative), during the summer the garage is the coolest place of the house, so no chiller is needed. I have an attic fan on a temp sensor that turns on when the garage temp is 72 degrees..it sucks cool air from the crawl space into the garage and hot air out the other side.

u r more than welcome to stop by and see my setup...I am very close to Todd (TJL).

1guy,

you can change your location by editing your profile.

in the upper right corner, click My Profile.
on the left side, click Forum Actions, click Edit profile. Scroll down to location and update accordingly, and then click Save Changes.

sorry to hear kirk, but it could have been worse. the tank wasent half empty it was half full lol

Back