OBD LED Fixture placement

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ichthys

Greetings
So I am in process of putting together my new 150. Dims are 24x24x60. My current 90 has 2 250W DE HQI 14k Pheonix bulbs and 4 VHO Actinics. I LOVE the light mix and intensity on my tank, I want to duplicate it on the 150. I am going to get the Helios 180 fixtures from OBD but am struggling with placement and whether to get 2 or 3. Eric originally suggested 2, but i wanted 3, now Im not so sure. Here are possible fixture layouts for the hood, lights will be 11 3/4" off water. What do you all think?
hoodLEDlayout_zpsb858a05e.jpg

So keeping in mind I am not made of money, but I do want to get it right the first time, should I go with A, B, or C

I dont know much bout leds, but eric is the manufacturer of the lights. If you told him what you wanted and he suggested 2, i dont know how you could go wrong.

IMO you should get three. Asking any fixture. Whether MH or LED to spread three feet is asking too much of it.

(EDIT) After actually looking at your drawing and seeing the tank is only 60" I say its a tough call. Two if you can raise them to get the spread but three if you are forced to keep them at 10" or lower.

Last edited:
I say go with option 'D' 6 pod x 4 pod x 6 pod this way you get excellent coverage and can keep them down low in height and power.
Just a thought and my $0.04 worth.

Cheers, Todd

I started with two of the same fixtures on my 72" and it did not quite cover the center - however two on a 60" would do just fine. I have my lights 12" above the water.

My lights will be about the same distance off water. Do you ever get any spotting?

I started with two of the same fixtures on my 72" and it did not quite cover the center - however two on a 60" would do just fine. I have my lights 12" above the water.

I like Todds suggestion, 2 of the 6 puckers and a 4 pucker in the middle....

boy, say " 6 pucker 4 pucker" 10 times really fast huh!

I say go for all 3 six puckers and have no regrets....unless you try to say " 6 pucker 4 pucker" infont of the wrong people.

Back