Octopus BH-100f replacement pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Willy

I have a friend who's pump on her Octopus skimmer stopped working after about 2-3 months. Obviously it is still under warranty but, what are some options as a replacement for the resun pump. I have read that maybe a sedra 2500 would fit?? Also, how difficult is it to replace the pump on these skimmers. It looks like you just remove the intake tube and slide the old pump out...

Thanks

here you go, my thread on RC about the octo hobs, and changing the resun to a sedra
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1271452&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

but the short answer, do it!!!
then use an aqua lifter to keep the pump cool, as it's motor block will always be exposed in the bh-100f

on the last page is a post with where i got all the stuff for the mod, including the regular and protein skimmer versions of the sedra 2500

Last edited:
Mark,

Are there any Eheim pumps that we could use as a replacement pumps OR is Sedra the only brand that will fit a Octopus 100 model ??

Kirk

Willy you didn't need to post this thread. I was going to do it today when I had time :). Thanks, though.

Thanks for the advice Mark! Looks like the Sedra 2500 is what I will have to get. Now, remember when it comes to equipment, you basically need to talk to me like I'm a monkey with no previous human interaction (however, I won't fling poo). After looking at the thread you linked, I'm unlear as to whether or not I should buy the NW Sedra 2500, or the regular one - which one makes the easiest transition into the skimmer. I do have a dremel and all attachments needed, and the parts don't seem too difficult to come by. I'll read through the thread again. Sometimes I get those "Ahaa!" moments when I read equipment stuff several times. Any extra advice would be awesome. I discovered the pump was dead yesterday afternoon. Yeah for me! :D

OH, another question, is it difficult to remove the resun pump from the compartment on the octopus?

o.k. there's several ways you can do this...:)

the cheapest is to just order the regular sedra 2500 pump, and to just switch over the volute,venturi, and needlewheel from the resun into the sedra. then there's a little plastic fitting that screws into the outlet of the pump that attaches it to the wall inside the skimmer.
now, if you get the skimmer pump version, you wont be able to screw that little plastic fitting into the pump outlet, because sedra glues a plastic outlet into the screw threads. like me, you would have to dremel out that outlet and hope there is enough thread beneath it to grab the screw in plastic outlet from the resun. so for this reason alone, i suggest getting the regular sedra 2500. if you want more power from the skimmer, then yes, the sedra needle wheel and venturi are better than the octopus ones on the resun, and you could buy them seperately, but a mesh modded impellar from the resun actually is as good as the sedra nw. it's the venturi that is a big deal...but again i say, if your happy with the power of the skimmer and you just want a reliable, quiet pump than just switch the resun out. the aqualifter is perfect for keeping the pump cool as well, just drill a little hole in the pump back plate (dont drill through the epoxy seal!!! just the back plate) and put the little water/air hose in the hole. then just stick the aqualifter on the top of the skimmer, allowing it to suck water from the skimmer body and deliver it to the hole in the back of the sedra.there are little slits in the baclkplate of the sedra pump that the delivered water will escape from, all the while keeping it cool.
if you dont do this, your sedra pump WILL overheat!! it's the design of the skimmer, and how the motor block stays unsubmerged, and doesnt get water cooled the way it's suppose to:idea:

Last edited:
I didn't have time to read the RC thread but I will, just in case Nikki needs help wit this.

I was tryin to do this all low key so I cold just tell Nikki it was an easy fix LOL

I thought you could run sedra's external? I have 2 sedra 5000's running external on my skimmer. Am I asking for trouble?

Nothing like hijacking my own thread :D

2940113234_a77d97e00c.jpg

Last edited:
I have Octo 300f and have sedra 2500 in the first chamber. Instead using Aqua lifter to keep the pump cool, i just use a ziplock bag with water in it. It's been working good for the past 2 months or so without overheating.

i wouldnt worry about your sedra 5000, i think it's just the configuration of this particular skimmer, im not an engineer, but i've had a total of 2 resuns and one sedra fry in the bh100f

i wouldnt worry about your sedra 5000, i think it's just the configuration of this particular skimmer, im not an engineer, but i've had a total of 2 resuns and one sedra fry in the bh100f

Ah ok. Maybe its the little chamber they have the pump in? I was thinking about that after I replied. With not a whole lot of water or air in there maybe that is what is causing the overheating issues.

Mark - I really really appreciate all of your advice so far. Premium Aquatics (local) doesn't sell the regular Sedra 2500 (just the nw version). Do you think the gen-x 1000 or 1500 would work, or am I stuck ordering the regular sedra online (not a big deal, just more convenient to pick it up)?

dont mess with those gen-x pumps...they are the same damn resun pumps for all practical purposes...just order the sedra, it's the way to go. and i actually have some extra parts lying around for that, that you would find useful. a sedra 2500 volute/venturi combo, and a needle wheel impellar i mesh modded...you can have them:)
pm me your addy, i have to send out a bunch of stuff in the mail im late on sending anyway...:)

Thanks again, Mark. I'll order the sedra. PM coming your way...

Back