Octopus BH 2000 ???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I run a BH-300F - it works, skims, sometimes skims like crazy - is nice a quiet and the silencers that come with it are awesome. It does need some sort of filter material in the output section (as pictured in your link) as it does push microbubbles through. Better than the more commonly available HOBs IMO.

And if you order from Aquacave don't forget to search the internet for coupon codes, you should be able to find at least one that'll give you 10% off. I deleted my last email from them or I'd post some :)

what size tank,
what's your budget,
what's the bioload..
i am need one for a 75g tank.. i don't want to spend over $200 on it.. i already bought another one..i ordered a CPR 2+ yesterday, but i am wondering if the Octopus HOB skimmer is better... there will only be about 3-4 fish in the tank.. it is mostly for my corals.. the fish will be small 3-4" fish, nothing big..

i am need one for a 75g tank.. i don't want to spend over $200 on it.. i already bought another one..i ordered a CPR 2+ yesterday, but i am wondering if the Octopus HOB skimmer is better... there will only be about 3-4 fish in the tank.. it is mostly for my corals.. the fish will be small 3-4" fish, nothing big..

uuugg, you already ordered a bakpak??
can you un-order it??
if you get anything from CPR right now it should be this in a couple months:

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/08/01/aeroforce-true-generation-bak-pak-skimmer-cpr/

well, for $200 for a 75g there isnt alot of options....
SWC bh-500

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/c...MSO-BH-500L-Protein-Skimmer/product_info.html

or you could take the money from the bakpak (about $150) and the $200 and get the SWC extreme hob skimmer:
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/c...immers/c22_48/p324/MSX-HOT1/product_info.html

the skimmer already shipped out early this morning...so what is your opinion about the performance of the Octopus 2000??

is the SWC bh-500 a pretty good skimmer??? does that one have any problem with waste leaking from the side of the cup??

Last edited:
is the SWC bh-500 a pretty good skimmer??? does that one have any problem with waste leaking from the side of the cup??

the bh-500 is a better designed skimmer than the octo bh-2000,
it gets 500lph of air injection, the pump is internal with no backpressure unlike the bh-2000, no plumbing parts to leak from, and the needlewheel impeller can be mesh modded or replaced with a pinwheel if you wanted to hotrod it,
I think the only octo hob with leaking skimmate issues is the bh-800, this SWC version(the innovator of this design) has the appropriate pump matched to the body, so you wont see this.

i called about the bh 500.. i asked the guy about the bh-500.. he didn't come out and say it, but he implied that it wasn't too great..i am just going to stick with the Bakpak2+.. i have it running. it has been pulling out gunk ever since i plugged it in.. i have another skimmer on the same tank.. it hasn't even pulled anything out since i put the CPR on ... i may buy another one in the future if i end up needing it... thanks for your help

Back