Octopus Skimmer help.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Roly

Go WhiteSox!
I was in the process of ordering an "Octopus NW Skimmer" when something caught my eye. One website says that the Octopus 110 is for tanks up to 150 gal. but another website says 75 gal?! Does anyone know which one it really is? I would like to buy the 150 but the footprint is 10x9. The space I have available is 12x12 (not including my pump). For this reason the 110 is better for me seeing as that it is 7x9. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Also if I do end up buying the 150, would it matter that the skimmer and the pump are going to be so close together? The pump is about 3x5ish.

As far as I know it doesn't matter how close the skimmer and pump are, and one of the most frustrating things about skimmer ratings is they are all subjective. It depends on your pump, tank size, bio load, ect. I just like to look for a skimmer that is rated way above what size tank I am putting it on. It may not be the best method but then you know your skimmer is strong enough.
I can't offer anything better because I really don't know much about the octopus skimmers.

Tim

I think common reef sage addvice is to get the largest size that is in your budget and that will fit. You might want to check and see if the retailer will take actual measurements for you. It might not make any difference, but when I bought my Euroreef I was able to squeeze it into a tighter space than it spec'ed footprint because you could rotate the pump a little left or right and of course the skimmer isn't a perfect square footprint. I don't see a problem with your return pump being next to the skimmer but you should definitely make sure that neither the skimmer pump nor your return pump are touch anything as the vibration can cause annoying noise.

Back