Octopus Xtreme Reef Protein Skimmer help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joker577

So I got it...managed to fit it in my sump after removing a couple baffles and it has already started skimming with a ton of bubbles (quite amazing i must say) and has about 1/2 cup of yellow water. I'm guessing it's because it hasn't broken in yet but will it begin to skim drier?

bump.

I cannot answer your question but I hope someone can.

If you have a minute I have a few questions for someone who actually has one of these skimmers

What do you think of the quality of the material?
Also, is it possible to place the pump in one area of the sump and connect to the skimmer in another area of the sump?

Mat

Give a week or so to break in. You'll probably have to make some adjustments during the process. I'd raise the standpipe a little right now as it's sounds like it's skimming a little wet.

EDIT:
I'd raise the standpipe a little right now as it's sounds like it's skimming a little wet.

It should be lower the standpipe. Brain wasn't working so well that night. :)

Last edited:
Octopus Xtreme Reef Protein Skimmer INT-PS-150, can't connect the pump anywhere else as it screws in to the side

bump.

I cannot answer your question but I hope someone can.

If you have a minute I have a few questions for someone who actually has one of these skimmers

What do you think of the quality of the material?
Also, is it possible to place the pump in one area of the sump and connect to the skimmer in another area of the sump?

Mat

no, you wouldnt be able to remote the pump from the skimmer...but in it's defense the skimmer has a very small footprint.
i think the quality of materials is the same as just about any skimmer in that price range. i thought mine was built very well.

Not to sidetrack your post joker but the trouble I will run into is the only space in my sump that will allow a skimmer is the area where the water level changes with evaporation. This has been hell on my previous skimmers. I have a section that I have roped off for a pump, but not enough space for a whole skimmer. I am not sure if it would be different for the xtreme 200 since I believe the pump is not attached to the base.

Mat

My pump is attached to the base...little did I know i followed the diagram and the pump connected wrong so I accidentally had to remove 2 baffles and break a third to slide it in when in reality i didn't need to at all but without checking the price you would think it was a 300$ skimmer it looks great and has TONS of bubbles

if its skimming wet you would want to lower the stand pipe this will lower the water in the skimmer and let it skim drier. Do a small change and wait a day before you tweek it again. keep ajusting until you find your sweet spot.

If you cannot keep a constant water level in your sump with a ato or baffel, then your skimmer will always be running a little wet or a little dry depending on the water hieght in the sump.
Enjoy the new toy lets see some pics of it in action!

yes the tube the water leaves your skimmer is how you control the water level inside of it.
Raise the tube the water level raises lower the tube the water level falls.

That's where the water comes out? And it's down all the way

Thats the adjustment tube/water outlet. If you raise the tube it will raise the water level in the skimmer. If its down all the way just give it some time to break in.

Don

Yeah I'm not too worried, atleast it's pullin out yellow...could be worse it could be nothing at all!

Just to throw yet another skimmer fact at you. ALOT of skimmers work best in 6-8 inches of water. The depth of the water effects the amount of air the venturi can pull in. If your skimmer is sitting in 10" of water it may not perform as well as if it were in 6". Hence, the several warnings and references to the water level in the sump regarding top off.
I wouldnt worry about that now. AS long as its not blowing its top of with wet foam your good for now. As you get more comfortable with it you may then want ot start messing with stuff like that to possibly increase its perfomance just a little bit more.

Back