Odyssea 298w 20" Fixture Review Part 1

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kendog261

I bought this as an inexpensive upgrade from my 110w pc lighting that I have.

This fixture is the new 2007 model it is has a upgrade from last years 175W, to a double ended 250W 20k HQI bulb. It also comes with two compact fluorescent 24W actinic blue bulbs and two blue LED bulbs for a total of 298 watts.

The package arrived on time and intact. Packaging was more then adequate (sorry no photos) There was two packages packed into a large box. One contained the external MH ballast and the other the fixture itself. One thing that is missing is a manual. All that came with the fixture is a couple sheets of paper for hanging the light from the supplied cables or attaching the legs (included). THERE IS NOTHING TO DISCRIBE HOW TO CHANGE THE BULBS OR HOW TO SERVICE THE FIXTURE.

First photos are of the MH ballast. Nothing fancy just a ballast inside a heat sink there are two vent holes with covers but no fans (it does get hot). The cords are detachable and pretty long and there is an on/off switch.
IMG_5112.JPG

IMG_5113.JPG

Next are the end caps. There are two intake fans on the side with no cords sucking air in and exhausting air out the corded end. Note about the fans. 1) They are a little load but not bad 2) They have there own power cord. :)
IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5115.JPG

Here is a top view of the fixture and a close up of the supports for hanging the fixture from the supplied cables.
IMG_5114.JPG

IMG_5116.JPG

With the end cap removed you can see how the lens covers can be removed by sliding them out also a photo of the LED cover.
IMG_5123.JPG

IMG_5127.jpg

Here is one with the LED cover removed it shows the fans, LED light and ballast.
IMG_5124.JPG

A photo of the 250W HQI bulb and its housing. The bulb isn’t to hard to change, just remove the end cap, slide out the LED cover and slide the UV shield out of the way. One thing that could have been better is the reflector it isn’t very bright. In the near future I am going to try to buff shine it (I will let you know how that goes).
IMG_5121.JPG

A photo showing the whole bottom of the fixture with the two compact fluorescent 24W actinic blue bulbs on.
IMG_5128.jpg

See part 2 to view the rest of my review

It's not missing the manual it just doesn't come with one. I have the same light, and the only way to service it is to pull out everything from one end. It is really time consuming and good luck not stripping out the screws.

Back