Odyssea 298w 20" Fixture Review Part 2

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kendog261

Review continued from part 1

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21103

A photo showing the legs mounted. The legs are a little cheap and made of metal but will work until I build my new canopy. Note that the legs are adjustable for the length of the tank from about 13” to 22” They make the fixture sit about 6" above the water.
IMG_5135.JPG

And finally a photo showing the fixture mounted on my tank.
IMG_5110.jpg

Overall I think for a $169 including bulbs, it is a good fixture. I don’t care for the 20k bulb and will be replacing it soon. I like that there is a cord for each type of light and one for the fans to allow individual control :) . I don’t like that there was no manual and no cooling fan for the MH ballast. I give it 7 out of 10 :D .

for the money you cant beat it , as long as your handy and willing to potentially sevice the unit, and yes, their free bulbs are kind of crappy, but hell, they are free, and the 2007 model has addressed most of the issues this unit had in the past. i'd say the quality at least matches coralife, but not as good as current, and of coarse no where near the high end german units, but great for starting out when you have sticker shock.

A little update after using this fixture for a few months.

1) I like the fixture haven't had any problems with it except the fans suck. They are very noisy and need constant cleaning. I will be replacing them.
Other then that I think for the price it is a very good fixture.

Back