Ok!!! Time To Fill The Tank!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

poriferabob

I finally have everything set and ready to fill the tank!!! Im not sure how to come up with the roughly 130 gallons of fresh water I will need to do so. I dont want to just use sink water and I dont think it would be cost or time effective for me to try to use my Kent RO/DI cause it doesnt produce that fast and the number of DI cartridges I would go through would be high.
I know pet stores often offer water but I have no way to transports that much water and multiple trips are not an option cause there to far anyway....

Any suggestions??!!!!

That's great man!!!! About the water, I buy my ro/di water from little water depots you can find almost anywhere here. There are a few main water companies that supply tons of businesses with 5 gal ro/di bottles of water and I just do that way. The closest one is about 5 mins at the most from here, but when I set up my 90gal for the first time, I had my buddy who owns the water company I get my water from send me all the water I needed and just filled the tank and sent back the bottles. Not sure if there are places up there besides pet shops that sell ro/di water close by, but that's what I do. I use the same water for my tank that I drink. I've tested it as well and is nitrate free. :)

I finally have everything set and ready to fill the tank!!! Im not sure how to come up with the roughly 130 gallons of fresh water I will need to do so. I dont want to just use sink water and I dont think it would be cost or time effective for me to try to use my Kent RO/DI cause it doesnt produce that fast and the number of DI cartridges I would go through would be high.
I know pet stores often offer water but I have no way to transports that much water and multiple trips are not an option cause there to far anyway....

Any suggestions??!!!!

buy a r/o d/i system 75 gpd wait two days. Man 130 gallons is a lot of water to come up with. I would think with the investment you have made all ready another 75 to 100 dollars would make your life sooooo much easier here look

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Reef-6st-10...8350401QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20684QQcmdZViewItem

I used to run two 55gal reefs with out a filter and I tell you it got old real fast going out and buying the water I needed plus how do you know the water people are changing there filters?

Just my 2 cents

I'd just use your Kent rodi. Once you start taking care of the tank youll see how much water youll go through. 130gallons is really no big deal and well worth the wait.

Don

I'd just use your Kent rodi. Once you start taking care of the tank youll see how much water youll go through. 130gallons is really no big deal and well worth the wait.

Don

And thats what I get for not reading the post well enough.:oops: I thought you had one of those little di cartridge things they sell at the lfs. Ya if you have an rodi just use it you can always get refillable di cartridges.

Will do!! : ) Ok so its pretty much idiot proof when telling when to change a DI because of the color change with the resins. How do I tell when and if I need to chage the RO filter?? The instructions that came with the thing got lost along the way and I cant remeber.
Oh yeah our house has a water softening system on our mains water... I was told that this will increase the life of the RO membrane. Is this true??

yes, the water softener will help with the life of the R/O filter..i don't know about your R/O filter life though..you can look up Kent Marine and find the specs i'm sure....130g shouldn't do much danmage to your filters..you may want to check your sediment filters afterwards..do you have clear housings???it makes it alot easier to tell!!!

Will do!! : ) Ok so its pretty much idiot proof when telling when to change a DI because of the color change with the resins. How do I tell when and if I need to chage the RO filter?? The instructions that came with the thing got lost along the way and I cant remeber.
Oh yeah our house has a water softening system on our mains water... I was told that this will increase the life of the RO membrane. Is this true??

The r/o membrain lasts a good long while up to 4 years. The best way to tell is with a tds meter. I just got one my self. You should have close to if not 0 tds with ro/di. I am waiting for my di so I get 3 tds out with 107 tds water going in. with just my ro system

yes, the water softener will help with the life of the R/O filter..i don't know about your R/O filter life though..you can look up Kent Marine and find the specs i'm sure....130g shouldn't do much danmage to your filters..you may want to check your sediment filters afterwards..do you have clear housings???it makes it alot easier to tell!!!

Agreed, the water softener does extend the life. Here is a past thread, where I asked the same thing: Water Softener with RO/DI?

The r/o membrain lasts a good long while up to 4 years. The best way to tell is with a tds meter. I just got one my self. You should have close to if not 0 tds with ro/di. I am waiting for my di so I get 3 tds out with 107 tds water going in. with just my ro system

The length of time the membrane lasts, is really dependant upon your water quality. I wished mine would last 4 years! I had to replace mine after almost 18 months (and replace my cartridges every 3 months or so). I have 0 TDS after my unit...and greater than 500 going in.

I also wanted to add....just use your RO/DI to fill the tank. It really doesn't take that long in the grand scheme of things.

Back