Ok, what the heck is going on here....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brie

BRA
Does Kenya Tree propagate itself? As in, will it randomly drop branches all on its own? Or is there something else at work here?

Woke up this morning, and my largest Kenya Tree has like 4 branches on the ground. They were cleanly cut off the stalk like someone had cut it with a knife. So is there something in this tank doing this, or is this a coral that just does that on its own?

Brie,

I've never owned a Kenya Tree, but in an effort to help bump your post back up to the top...thought I would mention that I have read several people in the past that have also noticed this "branch dropping" from them, so I'm assuming that it is how they propagate.

Does Kenya Tree propagate itself? As in, will it randomly drop branches all on its own? Or is there something else at work here?

Woke up this morning, and my largest Kenya Tree has like 4 branches on the ground. They were cleanly cut off the stalk like someone had cut it with a knife. So is there something in this tank doing this, or is this a coral that just does that on its own?

Kenya Tree does drop branches. To be safe make sure something else is not going on. Check your water parameters.

I have the same thing going on in my tank...branches fall, move to new location due to current/criters, and start new trees. That is if this is what you call a Kenya Tree?

very common strategy among most Alcyoniids and Nephtheids alike... but especially common with this one.

Do note though that is is a stress induced strategy as well as a natural one(old/large/mature colonies). If your colony is young or small and doing this... look hard at water quality.

Back