Old Liverock New tank ??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dalbery

Saltwater Nut
So I'm picking up my new tank (60x30x30 :D) on Monday. I have secured about 160lbs of live rock that's already established in another tank. I will be picking up once my tank is full of water and running. I would like to clean all of this before putting it in a new tank. Some of this rock has polyps, feather dusters , and other critters on it. I don't want to unneccesarily kill all the animals on the rock. So I would think scrubbing is out. Should I just have a couple of tubs of saltwater and a power head and blow the beejeebers out of this rock? I would really like to not have to worry about the tank cycling and with established live rock like this I shouldn't have a worry should I?
Thanks

I am not a pro or anything but I think someone told me once that the tank intself has to cycle even if the rock has been established. So I would wait a while and follow the cycling process to be safe.

You can still scrub some of the rock, just try to work around the corals. The feather dusters wont be bothered by a little scrubbing. I use a soft brissle brush. What I did when I changed tanks, which is basically what you are doing, is used water from the tank the rock is in to do the cleaning in. Then rinsed in seperate containers of new mixed saltwater. Then placed the rock in my tank. Check it good first for any unwanteds. You will want to remove those things before putting the rock in your tank. You could rinse in fresh RO water too, just if any wanted critters come out of the rock, you will want to catch them and put them in your tank. Like mini brittle stars or snails, crabs. Well some crabs....

Last edited:
Back