Old stand out...new stand in

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

I'm "kinda" thinking about getting a new stand and hood for our 150g. I'd love to hear a few stories from those who've successfully switched out a stand, and how they did it. I think I've got a plan...basically transferring everything from the tank to garbage cans and buckets including water...keeping them going with powerheads and heaters, moving the tank from the old stand to our dining room table with the sand in it, (Approx 430lbs) with 4 large guys, moving out the old sump, stand, then reversing the process for the new set-up??

Ideas?:confused:

I would say that is about the only way to do it. And instead of buckets, you might want to buy several Rubbermaid containers from Fred Meyer (or whoever). They only cost 5 bucks a piece, and have way more area for live rock, water and what have you. They are tough enough to carry a good amount of LR, and if you ever move a tank again they are great to have around. When not in use, they are easily stackable. If you never move a tank again, they are great for storing all sorts of household junk :). No, they do not pay me for advertising, nor do they share profits with me... :lol:

Last edited:
Don't put it on the dining room table. Set it on the floor on some pieces of wood (easier to get your hands under it to pick it back up).

Ha ha ha, my bad. You said moving the tank to the dining room table with SAND in it; I read with STAND in it. Oh dear. Where is my brain :lol:

Oh, and I am not sure you can move the tank with sand in it without jeopardizing its structural integrity... If it is a glass tank, it might put enough stress on the seams to make it leak later... If it is acrylic, who knows...

so I should scoop the sand out too and throw it in water? Would it be OK to put the sand in a rubbermaid and stick the corals in the sand for the short time it will be??

i have had to change aquariums in the past; when i did it i scooped out most of the sand (to lower the weight of tank and risk of catastrophe). i had put the sand in its own bucket with some water. my only rationale was that that bucket's water would be pretty fouled up and i didn't want to torture any fish/corals.

so I should scoop the sand out too and throw it in water? Would it be OK to put the sand in a rubbermaid and stick the corals in the sand for the short time it will be??

I bought my tank &reef used last year, and here's what I remember from trying to move a reef:
-Don't plan on being able to put corals (or anything else) is the same bucket as your sand.
(Unless you are VERY meticulous about cleaning your sand bed weekly/daily/hourly, I think you'll find once you start to scoop up the sand bed it is going to be NASTY....)
Your corals are not going to be happy sitting in a bucket of dirty sand and detritus.

+If you do want to remove the sand bed (to make the tank lighter) put the sand in buckets (not a tub)
You'll want a little water in there--just enough to keep the sand moist--but since this is going to be a short term move--you won't need a heater/PH for your sand.

-But DO make sure you have enough extra heaters/powerheads to keep all the tubs w/livestock running good.

**IT'S ALWAYS GOING TO TAKE LONGER TO REASSEMBLE YOUR TANK THAN YOU PLAN.**
(I spent the better part of a day just aquascaping!!!)

-So when you setup the tubs, PLAN that everything is going to have to spend ALL DAY (and maybe even overnight) in those tubs....
(If you get done quicker, then you're ahead of the game--which is alot better than trying to buy another heater at 10:30pm...)

-It's also good to test your heaters in the tubs beforehand.
(I lost 1 whole tub of corals during my tank transfer because a heater wasn't dialed in correctly, and everything was basically par-boiled!)

+And have ALOT of pre-mixed/aerated SW ready on hand! (like +30% of your total tank volume)
You'll find that when you get near the bottom of our tank, the water is going to start getting pretty dirty... and when you start removing livestock from the tubs, again some of the water left in the tubs is going to be dirtier than you'll want to re-use. (Leave those nitrates in the tubs and use 50-75 gallons of fresh saltwater instead!)

(PS: I left the sand bed in place in my tank when I moved--but was only 1-3" thick and it was only an 80 gallon glass tank...)

Back