One more Q. Are these PPEs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brie

BRA
These came on a rock with something else. They look like PPEs to my untrained eye. Are they? They've grown quite a bit since i've had this tank(they came on a rock that was in the tank originally), and went from being mostly closed and a solid pink color with a green mouth, to much more purple and a slightly greener center.

Edit: Ok, maybe not PPEs.. The nice ones seem to have a green skirt, and mine don't.

At least to me, they look like young "green stardust" PEs

And a further edit: Ok, I answered my own question after further research. I found this page that explains the markers of this ssp, which the polyps pictured do indeed have.

"Zoanthus gigantus - All shots in here are molecularly confirmed as Z. gigantus - enjoy! These are known in the reefkeeping world as "people eaters". Like Z. sansibaricus lots of morphological variation within this group, but white vertical stripes on the outside of the polyp, massive polyps (compared to other Zoanthus spp.), and a fluoro green mouth slit are all nice hints that you're dealing with Z. gigantus."

I disturbed a polyp to get it to close and they do indeed have white vertical striped on the outside, as well as the green mouth.

PurpleZoos_3100.jpg

Last edited:
No ppes have only green on the slit of the mouth opening not any flesh surrounding very cool none the less

No ppes have only green on the slit of the mouth opening not any flesh surrounding very cool none the less

Yeah, I was about to mention that in person the center isn't quite that green. They're almost directly under an actinic bulb that makes the center a little more green via photo then in person.

Back