One more question on cleaner crew..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

markang

Sorry. I really should have consolidated the questions. Last one for a while.. promise.

I've read many threads that say 'introduce a cleaning crew'. what's a cleaning crew?
what do they do, what are they comprised of? and what stage should they be put into the tank?
(Right now tank is Fish Only. but planning on introducing live rock).

Thanks so much!

Clean up crew consists snails and crabs and other critters for managing algae and cleaning up detritus and left over food.
There are a number of different snails, some clean glass and rocks, some spend all their time in the sand bed cleaning up algae and detritus and left over foods.
Then there are a number of different types of crabs. Some good for tanks with coral, some are not good to have with some types of coral. Most will eat your snails too if they are hungry enough. And then even if they aren't that hungry.
Then there are sand sifting starfish.
Then there are critters that are usually hitchhikers in your live rock. You wont know you have them unless you look reeaaallllly close. Some of those are mini brittle stars, chitons, bristle worms and other types of worms. Theres probably more, but cant think of them right off hand.

Once your tank is done with the nitrogen cycle and you start getting diatoms or other types of algae is when I would start adding some snails. And since you are feeding the fish, you can add a crab to clean up left over food.

Check some of the sponsors here on RF. A lot of them sell clean up crews. You can learn a lot about the different types of snails and crabs on their websites.

Last edited:
Back