One of those days.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wrightme43

Hi Everybody. Ever have one of those days where everything goes wrong? I have, and its today. I had this great idea for a sump for my tank. Had a 29 gal tank just sitting, a old oceanic. Been collecting stuff up for the past couple of weeks. Had already preped the sump, and took today of to assemble and bask in the glory of my accomplishments. It was not to be. I got a quiet one 6000 pump, two 1" acrylic filter sock holders, a cpr shiphon overflow with two 1" outlets and a new stainless heater, 4 of the groovy bending flow nozzles and a sh@#load of plumbing supplies. Well to start with, even though a 29 will fit under a 75, It wont fit under the stand while its assembled with a tank full of water and such. Please Bear with me I know I am stupid sometimes. Today I have been very stupid. So I get a piece of pvc pipe cut that will support the center of the tank and stand while I remove the center to my stand so I can fit the sump in. It goes amazingly well. I have taken everything off my tank except my rena xp3 and my ebo jager heater. I changed media in xp3 last week in anticipation of the big day ( I knew it would have to support the system while the glue dried and outgassed. Sooooo, There it is running everything is going great. I am doing final fitting of pvc and such and the like so I install my prizam pro skimmer. and My uv sterilizer. ( am getting a aqua c skimmer next and left room for it) As I am fitting up the last of the return lines (no glue yet) I hear a POP! I think what in the He#% was that. And I begen to search, it doesnt take long to realize the thin glass of the old tank had cracked where my dumb A#$ has over tightened the skimmer mount. So I take everything back apart. Now as all this is happening I am thinking wow it sure would be nice if the Sweedish Bikini Team were to show up. They of course didnt. So I go to the LFS I think to myself Ill just buy another 29 gal tank. No problem. Wrong. No 29 gals in the store for sale. So I get a 20 Long. Well ther are a shorter as you all know so back to cutting and fitting. Plus gluing in new baffeles cut for me at lowes. I can feel my hair failing out. Now As I am gluing the last fitting in I screwed up It didn't seat right. But it seated enough that I couldnt pull it back apart. Now tomorrow when I get home from work and fire it up I still dont know if its going to leak or not. I put the skimmer back up on the tank and the rena is doing its job every thing looks ok. Except me. I am glad for two things. One that it didn't wait till I was asleep sometime next week to go POP. And this stuff only seems to happen when I try to do something at my house. I forgot to mention, while all this is happening my pet pygmy goat got loose and was raising He#%. He loves everybody but he has a odd way of showing it. And he has sharp horns. If I left anything out, its just repression. So There I hope all of you had a better day than this and If you didn't I want to hear about it. Steve

it coulda been worse steve, as you said, the "pop" could have come after you were finished the set up. its all good, i can fel my hair fallin out too.

Look on the bright side, the PVC pipe held the tank up and nothing came crashing down! I feel your pain it happens to me all the time. For example the syncros on my transmission are going out so I set out to buy some cheap tranny to hold me over until I can get mine rebuilt. Guess what? no such thing as a cheap tranny. Cheapest I can find is $695! So I go out on eBay and find one and you know how that goes. The last hour I have it won for a little over three hundred bucks and some bonehead gets on there and drives it up over $400. Lucky for me my max bid was $450. Oh well I get the tranny in and there is no throw out bearing in it so I have to buy a new one and I figure I might as well replace the right side axle since the CV joint is going on it. Well I go to NAPA and they have the axle in stock but have to order the Throw out bearing. Now I am at home another $200 down since they have a core charge on axles ($70) waiting. In the meantime I drive around with my tranny grinding sounding like I don't know how to drive stick! God help us all.

Sorry About your tranny, I feel you there. My hot rod truck used to go thru them like toliet paper. Waterdogs can you turn your pm back on for me. I owe you an amends. I wanted to give it sooner, just did not have a way to ask. Thanks Wrassehole, Man I wish somebody had videotaped the whole day, it would of been priceless, some time next week. ha ha ha.

Happiness is a TCI streetfighter turbo 350 or 400. Expensive yes, though cheaper than the second tranny or the third, or fourth.

Wow! Sweedish Bikini Teams & Pygmy Goats!! :lol: At least the pygmy goat didn't hit ya square in the rear end while working in that sump....sending you flying into the plumbing, breaking everything, and pulling the tank down all at the same time.

Ever have one of those days where everything goes wrong?

LOL - yep....have you read my tank thread? ;) :)

I'm glad the POP sound was the pump and not the main tank. Let us know how the water test goes....

Bummer!!! That doesn't sound like a good day to me either. I hope the rest of the week goes better.

I've never seen a pygmy goat and now you've gotten me curious. Please post a picture.

Last edited:
OHHH YEAAAHHHH! It works it works!!!! I rescheduled this morning to this afternoon for working. Major flow and much happiness. I will take a pick of the goat. His name well he has two, first is McGarnikle, and the other is Goatwick J. Goat. I will try to get a pic on the doghouse but he usually wants to play when he sees me. I have a presentation to make at lunch and then I have to go to Franklin Ky. So I will try to get a pic of the sump tonight and the goat as well. The 20 long being shorter kinda messed up my filter sock holders. It still works just not as well as it could. Now I just have to wait for stuff to grow in the pipe to quieten down the noise. WOOOOHHOOOOOO!

OH yeah I read your tank thread Nikki, You had a rough time too. Probley worse than mine, because I could at least think about girls in bikinis. MMMMMM girls. LOL. Have a great day. Steve

wrightme43 said:
Happiness is a TCI streetfighter turbo 350 or 400. Expensive yes, though cheaper than the second tranny or the third, or fourth.

Yeah unfortunately they don't make those for Hondas. But I'd change the tranny monthly if I had a bikini team to help with the work! :D

Sump looks good! and such an adorable goat!! Maybe we can teach it to eat my hair algae :) .

Cute goat. Rachel's grandma had a goat that ate the vinyl roof off her parents car when she was little. They came outside after dinner, found the goat on the top of their car, and half of the vinyl was gone. I wish I could have seen that.

Curtswearing said:
Cute goat. Rachel's grandma had a goat that ate the vinyl roof off her parents car when she was little. They came outside after dinner, found the goat on the top of their car, and half of the vinyl was gone. I wish I could have seen that.

That is hilarious!!! :D I have heard of them things eating just about anything they can get their teeth into.

Back