Opinions on Drain/Return for Sequence pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefchaos

I am planning a 135gal cube (3'x3'x2h) and am unsure what I should plumb the drains/returns. The return pump will either be a Sequence Dart or Snapper. I was thinking of using 2 2in drains, but do to size and bulkiness would be curious to know if 2 1.5in drains are adequte to support the pump?

I was also thinking of running 1.25" returns, but wonder if this would be unnecessary? If not 1.25" returns I was thinking 1" returns. I do not want to go smaller than 1" due to the amount of flow lost on a Sequence Dart/Snapper. I am trying to maximize flow and minimize watts usage.
I will probably be using a "Coast to Coast" style overflow.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and offer any opinions!

i would be too scared to run that much flow through my sump in a 135. also, if you dont have the proper configuration with ur plumbing you might get a lot of noise/splashing.

What size sump do you have? How much head will you be dealing with? Neither pump is pressure rated so running them like this they will drop off rather fast, I know some use the Dart but depending on the head I would probably back away from the snapper. I would make a 1 1/2" header & have like 4 of the 3/4" outlets into the tank as returns. If I was going to do it again I would also consider the Eheim 1260 or the biggest one they make as an alternative.

My sump is going to be between 30-45gal. My max head will be about 4-5ft. When I initially calculated head loss for a Snapper it estimated approximately 2700gph. I pretty much have my sump configured, but just want to make sure I will have large enough drains to support either a Sequence Snapper or Dart. I am looking at running this pump do to the amount of flow it gives for a low amount of wattage use. I am not planning on using any powerheads at all in the tank. If I did I would no-longer use a sequence pump for my return and would likely use a Eheim 1262. I will have a closed-loop w/ a Oceans Motions 4-way on a Sequence Dart.

I think its to much flow for a sump that size and will cause issues with all the equipment in the sump. If your going with a closed loop then I'd just use a eheim for the return.

Don

I will be running an external skimmer and the sump will be a sump/fuge. With most of the flow just passing through the sump portion and not the fuge.
If I just went with a Eheim 1262 as a return and a Sequence Dart on a CL do you think that would be enough flow for an SPS dominated tank without using powerheads?

I run 2000 gph on my 180 with a 35 gallon sump with no problems .
The drains are calculated here

http://reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

Using the following input parameters
Gallons per Hour = 2700

Drain and Overflow sizes are calculated as
Recommended minimum drain pipe diameter = 2.15 inches
Recommended minimum linear overflow size = 41 inches

Keep in mind that is the minimum !! You want to remeber algae and calcium buildup !!

One thought is you could run a tee of the return putting some of it back into the sump that way it wount be quite soo fast. Maybe put it thru a beckett skimmer or into a side running refegium? Just a thought or two !

:)

Paul

IMO 2700GPH through a sump is a huge overkill. The general rule of thumb is to only run as much through the sump as the skimmer can handle or 10X the tank size or 1300GPH. I think with a Dart on an OM 4-way you will be just fine with the eheim as a return pump. Depending on how long your sump is, you may have microbubble issues of you run too much GPH through your baffles.
My 30" sump with 4 baffles for instance, can only handle about 14-1500 GPH max before the tank gets cloudy with air bubbles from the overflows entering the sump on the opposite end of the return pump. The whole idea of a sump is to heat and clean the water. You only need enough circulation to do that. If we could get all of our circulation from the sump none of us would need and use CLs or powerheads.

Last edited:
If you go with the eheim it would be:

Using the following input parameters
Gallons per Hour = 900

Drain and Overflow sizes are calculated as
Recommended minimum drain pipe diameter = 1.24 inches
Recommended minimum linear overflow size = 14 inches

Minimum.

Some Have slow returns and skimm more. I thought of going that way myself when I started. Even planned on it but was advised to go faster. I am lucky and have not had issues other than some drain noise at full throttle.

Whatever you do I would use the Bigger 2 inch drains at least prefferably 2.5"
A drain can only get clogged the return won't be the problem IMO

:)

Paul

Thanks for all the responses not to sure which way I'm going to go now. Going to have to think quite a bit before I make a decision.
Thank You.

I use more power through my sump at times to flush the tank but then I turn it down again to a slower rate. I do have a little more than the basic sump system, I've seen that Eheim pump in action & head great about them, should work out nicely but still would need a larger sump than just 10 gallons IMO that is just too small to get anything done.

IMO

flow in the tank and turn over rate should be looked at seperatly....

haveing good flow in the tank is like one of the most importent things you can have....

but the rate at witch the water flows to the sump what it does when its there.. and how it gets back is a diffreent story....

i more stedy calm flow to the sump and back i would think would produce better at the skimmer then haveing a rageing rapid going thur the sump.....

i mean if you where gonna branch off the sump to a refugm then thats a diffrent story..

i was at the pet place in landcaster this weekend....

i got a full tour of all there plumbing.... and wow did i learn and get some ideas....

they had engineers pump up there store.... great learning exsperence.

good things come to them who school

morning scooter... your up early

Back