Order for Adding Fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeremyhowe

I have a 75 gallon tank w/ hang on tank overflow and 10 gallon sump. All water parameters seem to be met. I used 2 damsels to speed up cycle which will be going back tomorrow. Some fish I would like to keep include; a pair of clowns, flame angelfish, lionfish (either dwarf or zebra), tang (not sure which one yet (thinking yellow or powder blue, maybe achilles or naso)), foxface rabbitfish, some various other fish including things like royal dottyback, or maybe a blennie, and lastly maybe an eel that will stay smaller. In which order would you suggest adding the fish? I'm thinking I will start with the pair of clowns as soon as the damsel is out. I have an okay clean up crew consisting of 6 snails with the cone shaped shells, 1 larger snail (size of child's fist) and 9 sand sifting snails. I plan to get a few peppermint shrimp soon as well. The lighting is a 250watt metal halide. Would that be sufficient to keep a host anemone for the clowns? If so I'm thinking bubble tip. Thank you for any input you might have.
-Jeremy

Okay, this is just my honest opinion, so know that there are more ideas for everything.:)
In a 75gal I would only consider the yellow tang, as all of the others would just get too large and need to swim too much. I would also start with the smallest fish working your way up to the foxface and then the yellow. Make sure the foxface is in first, as being yellow, the tang might not like him giong in. On another token, if you would like the lionfish or an eel, don't make a sure bet that they won't eat the inverts (what you stated as peppermint shrimp, but you could want more down the road). If you are sure on getting an eel though, try the dwarf golden (Gymnothorax melatremus). The clowns will host just about anything that moves, but if you do get an anenome the RBTA is normally the most common choice for a reef tank. Oh, and 250w is plenty :)

Thanks, and good luck.

-augustus

Ditto what he said.:)

Be sure and research the feeding requirements of the lionfish ( should be the dwarf.) and the eel as they different.
Plus the lionfish and maybe what ever eel you pick may just try and eat any fish small enough to get into their mouth.

Back