out of faucet water parameters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mullinsd2

Well I ahve everything I need!!! I just need you guys to look at my water parameters (straight from the faucet) and tell me if the water is okay! chlorine 0. ph 6.6. Total alk. 60. calcium hardness 20. copper, iron and phosphate 0! Can I go ahead and start filling it up?

Answered on the other thread you have about the same subject. Just a suggestion, but I'd stick with one thread on each topic. Otherwise, people will get very confused, or even irritated by answering the same thread, in 2 different forums. It'll also keep you bouncing back and forth between different forums to get answers to questions that are on both forums.

Your tap water is not what provides calcium. A good salt mixture will bring that Calcium up.But i still would go with Ro water.The other stuff will come up with a good salt mixture as well.

Eather buy a TDS meter or find someone who has one for you to borrow. My tap water tests at 22ppm on my TDS and my RO/DI water tests at 2ppm.

I bought my TDS for 15 bucks off ebay.

ya I did some looking around and what not, and I think I should be fine.... I am using walmarts distilled water (purple cap) it is just as pure as ro/di..... already contaced the local bottling company to see if they store in copper.... they don't, and I am sure most places do not anymore. if anyone else is looking for an alternative and have a local walmart that is closer than your lfs, just look on the front of the gallon of water and get the companies name.. look them up online and call or e-mail. they will reply quickly and tell you anything you need to know!

Eather buy a TDS meter or find someone who has one for you to borrow. My tap water tests at 22ppm on my TDS and my RO/DI water tests at 2ppm.

I bought my TDS for 15 bucks off ebay.

Yours should easily be 0 something is not right.

Don

ya I did some looking around and what not, and I think I should be fine.... I am using walmarts distilled water (purple cap) it is just as pure as ro/di..... already contaced the local bottling company to see if they store in copper.... they don't, and I am sure most places do not anymore. if anyone else is looking for an alternative and have a local walmart that is closer than your lfs, just look on the front of the gallon of water and get the companies name.. look them up online and call or e-mail. they will reply quickly and tell you anything you need to know!

Bottled drinking water is not deionized nor as pure. That aside it may be fine, you will never know unless you test it.

Don

Good advice with the testing, Don. I forgot to mention, and I am sure most of you know, that a TDS meter can be purchased.... and you can test the water your self! just thought I would recommend an alternative to anyone who needs it. Still, I say that distilled water is completely fine, and it is considered "to pure" by anyone who wants to drink it... most, if not all of its ions and non-ionic organic contaminents are removed. in DI, the organic is left behind. I do not know this stuff from experience, just from researching the differences, but the main point, like Don stated above, is that it can be fine! Just test it!

I think most will agree buying distilled water is an expensive veture compared to just buying an rodi unit. Most bottled water is not pure so your paying for something you not getting. A tank goes through a lot of water your going to end up living in the checkout line at wally world. You can get a decent rodi with inline tds meter fairly inexpensive now days.

Don

I agree, a ro/di unit is much more efficient and economical in the long term! And we should all plan on purchasing one; I do plan on it. But I know there are some very fastidious people who do not feel safe using anything other than ro/di, and I am just saying there is a short term alternative available if needed. A reef tank can still flourish with properly distilled water.

my tanks have done well using the water the "glacier water units" at the local safeway. I have not tested the water.

Those in store units vary from store to store obviously due to the source water. They are not rodi but can make pretty good water if the source is good to begin with. Most "distilled" water averages a tds of 10-20 who know what that is. Could just be the container or could be the water.

Don

+1 on the Glacier water. I've been using it for years now and no issues. Plus it's delicious and provides a good workout when lugging around the 5 gallon containers. One of the reasons why my arms are at a 16" circumference now. ;)

Back