outer orbit mod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

roscoe

Have anyone here modded a Outer Orbit halide fixture before? I'm wanting to mod the 150w hqi bulb to a 250w bulb. Do you think I can take the thing apart and just switch out the halide ballast and rewire it to a 250w ballast? Thanks for the help.

Sarang

You may need to replace the HQI DE socket also, depends on the rating of it. One thing also the reflectors are small on these so your wasting lots of potential also.

hmmm yeah I know the reflectors are small that is the drawback but do you think it would be possible to convert it to a 250w? Everything is built into the fixture so I'm not sure if it is at all possible to put a IC ballast in its place. Any ideas on how I should go about with this Scooter?

AREO makes a small ballast that probably would fit but you still need to make sure your socket will work & they unit may over heat bad. It would probably be safer just doing a retro!

Do you think I can rewire the 250 ballast outside of the fixture itself and not have the heat issue? Yes I know I could go retro, but I have this thing and was just wondering if it could be modded to fit a 250w. The 150 just isn't bright enough for my liking.

To be honest i wouldn't feel comfortable because the extra heat the lamp would put into the fixture, It isn't designed to handle that, not saying it wouldn't work or can't I just don't like doing that. I'm sure you can easily either mount it inside the unit or externally but is it worth the worry?

Back