Overflow Box

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wieselsport

I'm looking at a overflow box for my 75g tank. The overflow is rated at 600gph. its selling for $45. I was wondering if it is cheap and ineffective or is it a good deal??

It depends on the flow you want. I have found that overflows running at or near capacity are a whole lot noiser than one that is oversized. I have a 1200 gph cpr on my 75.

Now Iam not knocking your system, But I would not have a CPR on my tank, to many problems with siphoning and noise reduction takes to many Mods. This unit, either the 1200 or 600 are very well thought out, I tried them a year ago on my non drilled 55's, I was a Life reef user before but the expense was getting to me. So I tried them ,and what I found out was they worth the money. They are quiet and never loose siphon, For the money you can not beat them, I actually like them better then my 110 .00 dollar unit. But hey to each his own.

Now Iam not knocking your system, But I would not have a CPR on my tank, to many problems with siphoning and noise reduction takes to many Mods.

"Less is better" You remove that dumb strainer out of the bulkhead and the noise disappears!:D Then, you just kep about 2 or 3 spare aqualifters around like me and your set!(LOL)

ROFLMAO. Oh my God man, You got stock in that company or what? LOL I remember those days, CPR was like only thing I could find before, I used it a total of 2 months which equals to about 3 power outages in Oklahoma. After the 3rd I put in the garage sale bin, Never sold....LOL so I got the old chipper and threw it in there. Now is part of my Agrocrete. LOL so I guess they are good for somethings. LOL:badgrin: :lol:

ROFLMAO. Oh my God man, You got stock in that company or what? LOL I remember those days, CPR was like only thing I find before, I used a toal of 2 months which equals to about 3 power outages in Oklahoma. After the 3rd I put in the garage sale bin, Never sold....LOL so I got the old chipper and through it in there. Now is part of my Agrocrete. LOL so I guess they are good for somethings. LOL

LOL! Yeah, I love how the CPR doesn't take up much space in the tank, but it would be cool if they didn't need a pump to keep them primed...I had one similar to the one you posted a link of that came with a proaquatics wet/dry I once had, but got rid of it cause my fish liked to take turns going for a swim in the "U" siphon tube! About the stuff on the table...LOL! That's just some of the stuff I took out for a picture. I find it funny, but my wife doesn't:lol:

Well they never do find it funny , Thats why mine is an ex right now...LOL She would have crapped if she ever seen my House now. 9 Tanks and 10 comming soon. She never did like it, Said it was to humid in the house. LOL she was really wet after I threw her in the 160....lol :evil:

Well they never do find it funny , Thats why mine is an ex right now...LOL She would have crapped if she ever seen my House now. 9 Tanks and 10 comming soon. She never did like it, Said it was to humid in the house. LOL she was really wet after I threw her in the 160....lol

LMAO! That's funny...Welcome to the hijack club reefdaddy!:lol: Sorry about that Wieselsport. Seems to happen a lot when I'm online:D

Well at least its getting some info. Yeah my wife doesnt know alot about what i spend on the tank either. As far as she knows I always get a good deal on everything. I just have to beat her home from work to get the packages hid.

Thanks for the info on the hurricane I will probly go with that one. It will let me sleep at night. Do you think a 1200 or 600gph? It will probly be a 20 or 30 g sump.

Yeah I just keep a couple of aqualifters around, and really like the cpr. I lose power for a few hours every couple of months. It was out for 4 hours the other night. With the aqualifter it starts right back up. I think if I was running it at capacity it would be harder for it. But not a problem from it for me.
Everybody just likes differnt things. Its really that simple. I have never liked tube overflows, I think they are too bulky, and they have to many ways to fail. Not saying they are bad, just they are different. Its like ford chevy and toyota. They all drive, just some people like one over the other. I am glad they make all the different kinds. That way we all get what we want.
Steve

Reefdaddy- those look like a decent HOB over flow. I like the cover on the back side, I bet that helps a bunch with noise reduction. Good pricing too

Wieselsport said:
Well at least its getting some info. Yeah my wife doesnt know alot about what i spend on the tank either. As far as she knows I always get a good deal on everything. I just have to beat her home from work to get the packages hid.

Thanks for the info on the hurricane I will probly go with that one. It will let me sleep at night. Do you think a 1200 or 600gph? It will probly be a 20 or 30 g sump.
That would depnd on what your sump is: Refuge the 1200, Wet/dry with skimmer the 600. Then you have deal with return pump, either way you go I would make the Ehiem my return pump. 1260 is about 600 at 0 ft so about 400 at 4ft. the 1262 is around 800 at 0 ft and around 650 at 4. You can choose others but to keep low watts and depndabilty I would go that route. your overflow will only rate at the return pressure. Meaning it will always stay at whatever you pump is. But only to its max, you cant have 1500 GPH on 600 OF or you will drain your sump and flood your house.

Willy said:
Reefdaddy- those look like a decent HOB over flow. I like the cover on the back side, I bet that helps a bunch with noise reduction. Good pricing too

Yeah I like em allot. I got tired of of the life reef prices and its the same quality. They just are little more in the width department, but the over all Quality is great.

I was thinking of a 600 overflow to my sump and running two aqua clear powerheads(400gph probly 200+ with height) to pump the return. And then having 2 or 3 maxi-jet PH's in the tank for the other flow.

Aquaclear really dont do well as return pumps. They are not built for it. Totally up to you, of course. I use quiet one return pumps, low watts, great flow, quiet, submerse or dry. Again everybody has what they like.

Back