Overflow Kits

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
the kit that is sold seperately for the tank i want is $43 per overflow..it is for the mega-flows on all-glass tanks..they appear to be durso standpipes..it comes w/ everything needed.....should i try to build these myself for cheaper or just buy them pre-made??? could i buy these parts seperately and put them together cheaper than $90 for the two of them???

Pipe.
"T"
End cap.
Glue.

:)

Here's a TINY shot. I didn't want to register at the site to see the full size image.

for the forty three bucks they charge, you could build your own and screw it up several times over before you get it right, and still come out on top.
i had bought the pre made one you're speaking of and when i actually got it i was really feeling like a jack a**.

maybe i could buy one and just match the other parts exactly....i have never had a tank w/ an overflow..i need the standpipes, bulkheads,and return lines..it really would be much easier to buy the package..somebody needs to start selling knock-off overflow kits :)

No don't buy one you'll just waste your money. Just buy all the PVC and assemble it like in Sherman's picture and don't glue it till you got it to the right size.

I have the same tank and I actually bought the two kits for it like a dumbass. The only redeeming thing is that it does come with the return parts also which include the locline Y tubes. Which while it is probably still cheaper to build them yourselves it reduces the cost/ratio a bit.

Plus frankly it was sort of nice to just be able to plug them in and not have to worry about them working either.

Or better yet you could just pay me the $90 and I'll send you the $10 parts already assembled. That doesn't include S & H though so you'll need to pay for that. Or or glue, then I'm sure there's some sort of assembly fee, oh and don't forget about the packaging fee. So you're total will be $275. 23. I do accept paypal.

i've already got to build all my sump plumbing..i may just take the easy route for the overflows:)

Also, I'm not sure how a homemade version of the pipes go, but these ones are pretty easily adjustable. Here is the standpipe I got in my kits:

IMG_0004_1_1.JPG

And here it is taken apart. It is not straight PVC piping as is evident by the o-rings which allow it to go up and down and adjust the level inside the overflow. IMO they seem pretty good quality and I'm quite happy with them.

IMG_0005_2_1.JPG

And here is how it all sets up which should be about the same as how yours is I believe if you get the kits.

IMG_0006_3_1.JPG

I guess yah at close to 90$ for the two of them it wsa a bit expensive. But with everything else I've DIY'd for this tank I was happy to pay it and just have it work.

i was actually looking at that website the other day...i found where you can buy the durso pipe premade for about $15-$20

Back