Overflow location

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rebou

I'm building my first reef tank. The size is 24*14*15 for 25 gallons. I will place a sump in the stand.

I'm wondering where to place my overflow. I hesitate between two spot. The center and the left corner. If I go with the center, I will use an external Durso pipe with a hole drilled in the wall. For the corner a standard durso pipe drilled in the bottom of the tank..

Here is the two options:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jr3M4Y_h0EVVd0uBX0a9Dw?feat=directlink

What do you guys think?

Thank you
Ludo

No, it's not drilled yet and yes the thank is viewable from both side, but more from the right side. I found a place that will drill the tank for $15.

Ludo

Ok so I assume you are going to use some kind of PH for flow in the tank right? On the return where is that coming back in?

I have a corner overflow and I hate that it takes up so much space. My next tank will be out the back. That's what I vote for, but it seems like that option has a lot more work involved for you.

Pretty much building off of what Burke said my overflow is in the middle and it takes up way too much room for my taste. If I had built the tank I would have put mine in one of the corners (or atleast wish I had).

Dennis

Yes, I will add a power head in the tank to add some flow.

From what I see, there is one against corner and one against middle ;-)
So the general consensus is that overflows takes to much place.

So if there is no objection, I will go with the overflow in the middle of the tank. It's the solution that will take less floor room.

Thanks everyone,

Ludo

Last edited:
If it had to be internal I'd go for the corner going by your picture vs the center. If however, you can go external somehow on the overflow, I would go that route as it will save you on space in the tank which is what I did on my 38 gal cube. Here is a picture. :)

An overflow doesnt have to obstructive. You dont need to be deep, I would suggest to build an overflow box that is just about 6 inches deep but that goes from one side to the other. The concept is to be able to pull the whole top of the water column in the tank off, this will help you in removing detritus and similar. you should be able just to have one hole in the back of the tank and it wont matter where it is, the coast to coast will act kind of like a trough to bring water to the drain hole. This way you can put the drilled hole where it makes sense based on your sump configuration.

anyway, just a thought

Mike

An overflow doesnt have to obstructive. You dont need to be deep, I would suggest to build an overflow box that is just about 6 inches deep but that goes from one side to the other. The concept is to be able to pull the whole top of the water column in the tank off, this will help you in removing detritus and similar. you should be able just to have one hole in the back of the tank and it wont matter where it is, the coast to coast will act kind of like a trough to bring water to the drain hole. This way you can put the drilled hole where it makes sense based on your sump configuration.

anyway, just a thought

Mike

I agree 100% with Mojo! Coast to coast is the way to go if you can. That's how that tank is in the picture above. When you don't use a coast to coast overflow then more emphasis has to be placed on your flow placement in an effort to get all of the waste in the water column directed to the overflow so that it can make it to your sump to be processed. :)

An overflow doesnt have to obstructive. You dont need to be deep, I would suggest to build an overflow box that is just about 6 inches deep but that goes from one side to the other.
Doesn't even need to be that deep. Just deep enough to clear the bulkhead by at least 1/4" so you can get it installed.

Yea you have to becareful how close you can be to the top of the tank when you are drilling the hole for the overflow though.

mike

Good point. I drilled a 20-gallon glass tank for a 4-inch deep overflow box with no problem.

Thank you every one. I just got my bulkhead and I will get my tank drilled tomorrow. The over flow is also done. I will post some pictures when it is installed.

Ludo

Hello All,

I finally put the overflow at the back of the tank with a siphon for most of the flow and a durso stand for emergency.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is a full thank shot after adding the sand and 10lbs of live rocks... I've added the sand 2 days ago and the rocks yesterday.

As you can see, it is pretty cloudy. I've added a Fluval filter to help remove the sand dust.

I've got 2 hitch hickers with my live rocks :

Have I been lucky or not... Are they desirable life forms or should I get rid of them?

I will be adding more live rocks tomorrow and I hope that the thank will clear up to be able to do some aquascaping!!!

Ludo

Yea, whenever you add rock and sand to a tank, it's usually cloudy for a bit. Should clear up soon especially if you have a good polishing type cartridge in the canister to catch any free floating debris. As for the hitch hikers, on a newly set up tank that will need to cycle, it's usually not a good idea to have them in there simply because of the toxic ammonia and nitrite they will be exposed to as the tank cycles. Inverts are usually more sensitive to the two compared to some fish.

Just a few thoughts! Looking forward to seeing it all cleared up and aquascaped. :)

That sump looks pretty full. Do you have enough excess capacity to handle the tank siphoning when the power goes out?

Yes, there is more than enough room in the sump for the siphoning of the sump and the fuge. I have tested it more then once...

Does anyone knows if the small white creature is a starfish? It's about 5mm in diameter.

I'm thinking of making a bigger sump and using the current sump as a refugium.

Ludo

Back