Overflow problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaygalindo

Mariners Fanatic
I did a 10% water change the other day and for some reason now the overflow isn't draining as fast as it was prior to the water change. Any help would be great. I am running an Eshopps ext. overflow and a mag 7.

Is your overflow return line plastic or hard line? You may need to "burp" it/ purge the air trapped inside. Or you could possibly have a snail trapped in the line, its happened to me a few times until i built a snail trap ;)

Spa Flex has a smooth interior surface and shouldn't trap air as long as its a straight run down to the sump. There would only be air in the spa flex if the pipe was making up and down bends.

Squeeze it with your bare hands a couple of times, atleast thats what I have to do every now and then when the power shuts off. This may not work as I'm not familiar with Spa Flex tubing.

I just looked up your type of overflow.
It is a "U " tube overflow.. right?

you cant squeeze spa flex it's too hard..it's the hard stuff with the spiral hard plastic on the outside..
take a small length of air line and literally stick it in the bend or "U" tube of the over flow and suck out the air..
The best way to fix this in the future is to drill a tiny hole on the very top of the "U" tube just big enough for a piece of air line then glue one in there and get an "AQUA LIFTER" pump.. this will purge the air when it gets built up and also restart your siphon if you loose power or do a water change!!

Last edited:
Back