Overflow Questions!!!??? HELP?!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bob_Posey

Hey everyone! I have a question?! I'll try to explain as best I can. I bought this tank as a 136 gallon and drove 6 1/2 hours one way but the "filtration system" in the corner was junk. I took it out and turned it into a 150 "I think". The top of the tank in the two rear corners has the glass cut at an angle so that the black trim could have a circle cut in it for wires and such.

I do not want to put an overflow on and drill the tank. I'd like to put an overflow box on it and that should be easy enough "you would think". The problem is the missing glass and the holes. The overflow intake isn't low enough to clear the holes. Should I buy an overflow box, fix it to the tank, buy another box to drill the drain in and fix it to the rean, then get a couple "U" tubes to connect them for the siphon? Should I just try to patch the holes in the glass and trim? I'm just afraid that the trim won't hold since the glass isn't there. I'm not sure what to do but I do know I need a good amount of flow. I just don't want to drill the glass and I can't find any overflow boxes that stick down low like I need it.

Any thoughts? Heres a pick of the tank. By the way, I paid $400 for it and also got 175lbs of live rock with it. Thought it was a pretty good deal. :)

Thanks!
Bobby

Attachments

• 150 gallon.jpg
    150 gallon.jpg
    38.4 KB
  • Glass hole.jpg
    Glass hole.jpg
    74.8 KB
  • glass hole1.jpg
    glass hole1.jpg
    59.8 KB
Last edited:
Why would you not want to drill for drains and just use existing holes for retumarns? Since already drilled its not tempered glass. You can figure out approximate capacity by length x width x height devided by 231in inches. Looks like it will be an awesome reeftank, good luck and looking forward to seeing the progression.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Well, Its not the actual glass that has the holes. The glass is cut at an angle, the trim is what has the circle cut in it. I've just never drilled a glass tank before and with the luck I've been having lately with tanks, I just would rather not take the chance. Thanks for the advice though. :)

You can still use the overflow box and plumb the returns through bulkheads in both those holes. I think that is what I would do.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Ipisces, I didnt think of that. I believe thats what Ill do! Thank you! Should have it goin in a week or two. Pics to come! Thanks again everyone!

Back