Overflow-> Sump/Ref

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wieselsport

I am thinking about up grading to a bigger tank in april and thought I should set up a sump. Anyways I have seen overflows but have no idea how they work and suprised they dont flood at some point. :confused:

Is making one yourself the way to go, if so how?

what needs to be involved in the sump?(plants, skimmer, ect..)

So I have no idea let me hear it.:eek:

The sump can be as simple or complex as you want to make it. I have my heaters, skimmer, some live rock, and return pump in mine, along with the probes for my controller.

Here are a couple of quotes for you. They are from the second link I'll post below. I hope you find the artilces helpful.

An integral part of a sump is the "overflow". The overflow is the mechanism that drains water into the sump from the display tank. The overflow resides in or "hangs on" the display tank in a fixed position (Figure 2) so that any water that rises above that level in the tank "overflows" through the drain into the sump. This is how the water level remains constant in the display tank. A wonderful side effect of using an overflow to drain water into a sump is that the surface of the water is constantly skimmed, removing undesirable surface films from the tank. This improves gas exchange with the water surface and aids in boosting oxygen levels and lowering CO2 within the tank. Also, not having the surface of your tank look like pond scum is a good thing, don't you agree?

In most cases, the ideal overflow is built into the tank utilizing a hole "drilled" into the tank inside the overflow. Aquariums with this feature are sometimes called "pre-drilled" or "reef-ready" tanks. If you are planning a new tank and haven't purchased it yet, I recommend you seriously consider purchasing a pre-drilled tank. It is possible to have an existing non-drilled tank drilled to your specifications as well, which is a good alternative for those that already own a non-drilled tank, or want to have the holes drilled in "custom" locations.

This type of overflow is quite simple and has few opportunities for failure. The overflow is designed to allow water to spill "over" it a few inches below the tank's rim. Because water will only spill into the overflow if the water level is above the top of the overflow, the water level in the tank will remain constant. Also, no water can drain from the tank after the water level lowers to the top of the overflow. This type of overflow can fail only if the drain hole or drainage pipe become clogged, thereby preventing water from draining into the sump, although it's very easy to prevent this from happening, and is a subject I will go into detail about in Part II of the article. Perhaps the only downside to a drilled tank is that the overflow will take up some space within the tank, thereby reducing the amount of usable area for the tank's inhabitants.

How does a Sump Work?

Everything you Always wanted to know about Sumps - Part 1 (quotes above are from this article)
Everything you Always Wanted to Know about Sumps - Part 2
Everything you always wanted to know about sumps - part 3

Back