overflow trough

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ohgee

Looking for ideas.

I have a 125 gal glass tank, sitting in my basement that I would like to setup correctly from the beginning. Here's the problems I am having and trying to figure out.

1) The tank isn't drilled but I think I found someone to do that for me.

2) From what I have read I think I want a coast to coast Overflow Trough, but no idea where to get one.

3) Water flow, whats enough both closed and to sump. When I get the tank drilled I only want to take to shop once. The least amount showing over the back/top the better.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Duane

IAP can make the coast to coast for you, but I think it might be a real turd to attach to a 6' glass tank. I would go with a couple of 1000 gph overflow boxes, one on each end.
Don't forget, the more holes you drill in the back, the more you risk!!!. You could do a closed loop with one hole drilled for the intake, and feed 2 or 3 sea swirls.
Also, what are you gonna have in the tank, that will also help determine how much flow you are going to want.
Are you going to have a substrate??

Okay let's see if I can describe what i'm thinking.

1) I want an SPS only tank! So the higher flow the better I guess.

2) Really don't like the idea of overflow boxes due to problems I have personally had but you might be right in no more holes than absolutely necessary.

3) Substrate, well not sure if I'm going to really like the look but the more I think about it the more I'm thinking bare bottom.

:confused: Why is it the more questions I ask the more confused I get :confused:

I guess my main concern is the tank is only 18" wide and the less obtrusive the equipment can look the better I will feel.

Duane

The overflow boxes I am talking about mount on the inside if the tank, nothing hanging off the back. As for flow, try a couple of tunze with your closed loop. Don't forget, you also will have a return pump that will probably push at least 2000-2500 gph. Without a substrate you will be able to direct your flow in all directions to keep the detritus in the water column for easier export.

Don't know about you btu I find it funny we chat more here than we do in person and we live what, 1.5 miles apart :)

thanks Charlie

Duane

You think thats funny, i think its funny that there is more Reefers in Montana then here in Rapid =(

Duane drilled closed loops are tough in a glass tank, even harder in a smaller tank when not looking for anything obtrusive.
I agree with charlie that drilling the tank for interior normal overflows is the best route. The concept of the coast to coast overflow is to aid in the removal of detritus and make it more available for the skimmer. In your case with only 18 inches front to back I dont think its going to be a problem that you are going to need to address.
In regards to more flow in your tank, again with the size you are going to get alot of water flow bouncing off the front and side walls, so you should be able to achieve multi directional flow with the use of some tunzies or simular

hope it helps

Mike

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm learning more and more everyday and learning I have a lot more to learn. Thanks for your help

Duane

New Idea

Okay guys, lets get some more ideas. I got a couple and am looking for a little more help.

Now my plan is to use the interal overflows and drill the tank in both ends. I want to take the 6' tank and build an 8' cabinet to put it in. give myself 1 foot on either side for the plumbing and overflows. As well as bring my returns back up that way to maybe a spray bar or two.

I am looking for some pretty major flow as this is going to be a SPS only tank. So any help or ideas on a pump that can handle that would be great. I could also use some assistance with locating a dealer for the overflows, I can't seem to locate on the net.

Thanks everyone.
Duane

if you are looking for big time flow, I don't really think a spray bar is the way to go. You may find that they distribute flow well, but they severly restrict it. You get much less bang-for-the-buck out of your pump and they require quite a bit of maintenance. I would recommend running them to a couple of sea swirls.

Basically this is what I would do:
1) coast to coast overflow with 2 drains, 1.5" each at each end with durso standpipes. Return this via a single 1.5" pipe, split to 2 1" sea swirls mounted on each end of the tank, or the two back corners.
2000 gal/hr

2) then, drill two 1.5" holes somewhere in the acrylic overflow coast-to-coast, place 1.5" bulkheads and cover the intakes with a strainer of some sort inside the tank. Plumb these two pipes together off the back of the tank, run them to an external pump of some sort (sequence, iwaki etc - something rated about 2000-3000gal/hr) and bring a closed loop back to a calfo style manifold over the top of the tank. This means no more holes need to be drilled.
2000 to 3000 gal/hr

That will give you somewhere between 4000 to 5000 gal/hr or 30-40x turnover, depending on the size of the sump. No powerheads and the two pumps will definitely be cheaper than a tunze setup or a whole series of powerheads plus a return.

Back