Overflow - where to buy a protective cover

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Poorbob2000

Howdy,

I have a 75 tank drilled with a corner overflow and a 50 gallon tank underneath. The problem is the small slits that water flows in to go to the lower tank need to be protected because shrimp and smaller fish are following the flow and ending up in the lower tank where I didn't intend them to be and capturing them is not a happy event....at all....smile!!

Does anyone know where to get a fine screen or plastic coated screen that is pliable or any other ideas to protect the overflow? I crafted some foam and covered it for now but just noticed another fish is down in the lower tank....waaaaaaa!!

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated...

The problem with that is probably anything you put over it, will restrict flow some which could be a potential problem if your overflows are maxed out now with the current pump you are running. I had this problem before using one style hang on overflow box where I tried to weave some fishing line threw it and almost drained my sump! Eventually I ended up switching to a CPR overflow to prevent the small fish from getting into the sump. Honestly not sure what to suggest here at the moment, but here is a bump back to the top incase someone else may have an idea. I just thought I'd throw out the pre-caution you will have to take blocking off some of the overflow slits in an effort to keep fish out. You don't want to block too much of it preventing it from being able to keep up with your return pump. :)

i have the poor mans setup, i used a pvc elbow with approx 5 inch pvc pipe to the corner. the elbow and pvc pipe is drilled for drainage and works like a dream! sorry to hear about your fish that bit the dust.

Thanks for the reponses Krish and Something's Fishy. My tank's corner overflow is bowed... I have tried several covers but so far it's not what I had hoped for. Ohhhhh, and dont worry about the 3 fish and about 250 shrimps that went thru the little slits in the top part of the overflow, down the falls, swirling around before taking the final luge trip into the lower tank. That must have been a cool trip and they have all made it and are having way too much fun down there. I just had other plans the lower tank and despite varied trapping efforts, I have resigned myself to raising moss and having a variety of shrimp down there. The upper tank is the display tank and the lower tanks kind of a refugium but is a planted tank primarily with a variety of mosses. I use an over-abundance of filtration with Fuval FX5's and two Fluval 404's circulating flow back to the upper tank. I have had numerous saltwater systems and have enjoyed being part of RF for several years. Wanted this as a saltwater system but was over-ruled by the bos...smile!! This is my freshwater system where I raise Dwarf Scarlet Badis and a variety of Neocardina shrimp (Cherry, Snowball, Crystal, green, yellow, tiger and a couple others). Instead of the lower tank full of Chaeto and critters.... I raise several varieties of macroalgae mosses. Sorry to ramble and wanted to thank u for ur responses. If you ever hear of how best to protect the overflow properly, let me know.

You can buy a plastic mesh at a fabric store that people use for doing embroidery on has about 1/8" square on it. Would probably work for you.

Back