Ozone use....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

stonycorals

Kevin,

I've seen in a couple of threads that you recommend ozone. Do you run it in a reactor or in your skimmer? Just curious.

Thanks

Thanks, my inquiry is out of curiosity than anything. It seems like ozone is one of those cyclical movements within the hobby...

Kevin's reactor is breathtakingly simple..... water pumped through poly tubing that has ozone injected in the beginning via venturi. I have seen this profiled elsewhere (RC?)and if you have the space, it's really simple, effective and inexpensive.

Hello,
I use a 100' black poly reactor driven by a venturi and a Mag 18 on my 450. On a couple of other tanks I use the venturi from the skimmer. The 100' of tubing produces a better mix with no ozone left over. I run carbon on the skimmer collection containers exhaust to make sure none of the ozone escapes. For tanks over 100 gallons it is a very effective tool to maintain crystal clear water. A good unit is expensive up front but in a few years it pays for itself.

Regards,
Kevin
Note: Ozone should always be used with a ORP controller.

Kevin,

Do you have link to your reactor design? I'm not that interested in using ozone in my skimmer - I use a mix of downdrafts and becketts on multiple systems and feel that I would just end up ejecting a lot of the ozone back into the carbon rather than getting some decent contact time...
Thanks

I have thought about using ozone for a long time, for some reason it freaks me out. I've read letting it escape into the tank is BAD and would be continuously worried it was escaping into the tank. I have a EuroReef RS-135 skimmer which says using ozone will hinder its performance (not likely) and is bad for the skimmer. I would love some basic ideas, thoughts, about how I could employ ozone in my 90 gallon tank. I seem to have a fairly high level of DOC's which has been a constant battle. I've had 100+ aiptasia (probably way more), hair algae, cyano, bubble algae, red turf algae...the list goes on. So if someone could give me some idiot proof ideas on how I could add ozone to my tank I would love to hear about it. Thanks. BTW I have read a lot about this, just confuses me. Thanks again.

Kevin,

Do you have link to your reactor design? I'm not that interested in using ozone in my skimmer - I use a mix of downdrafts and becketts on multiple systems and feel that I would just end up ejecting a lot of the ozone back into the carbon rather than getting some decent contact time...
Thanks

Read the articles that Nikki posted. The tube design is described and photographed.

Don

Here is the picture of the ozone reactor. The white tube is the ozone supply. I'm using a small air pump to push air into the ozone generator as well as a venturi (the black "T" shaped piece of pipe) to draw air out of the ozone unit. I use a Mag 18 located in the overflow box to supply the water and generate the venturi.

In regards to hooking the ozone hose directly into the skimmer. In most cases it will reduce the amount of air entering the skimmer resulting in reduced performance but there is a simple solution. Placing a "T" in the ozone line just before it enters the skimmer will allow room air as well as the ozone to be drawn into the skimmer with minimal reduction in skimmer performance.

Regards,
Kevin

ozone_reactor.JPG

Here is the picture of the ozone reactor. The white tube is the ozone supply. I'm using a small air pump to push air into the ozone generator as well as a venturi (the black "T" shaped piece of pipe) to draw air out of the ozone unit. I use a Mag 18 located in the overflow box to supply the water and generate the venturi.

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin
I noticed the coils for your reactor are vertical. Doesn't that allow air to get trapped in the upper portion of the coils? Have you noticed this, or does the Mag 18 pretty much push with enough force to drive out any possible air pockets? Would mounting the coils horizontal make any difference?

Hello Rick,
The water velocity is enough to push the bubbles out the end. At 1800gph there wouldn't be any difference in mounting position.

Regards,
Kevin

I did the "T" in the air intake of the skimmer, even with the ozone unit at the lowest setting I smelled ozone....

I did the "T" in the air intake of the skimmer, even with the ozone unit at the lowest setting I smelled ozone...
Where is the ozone smell coming from? The collection container air vent? If so place a small bag of carbon over the vent. Most skimmers only vent through the top or lid of the collection cup.

Regards,
Kevin

Yeah, it must be from the "T"... I was using a EuroReef RS80, which has holes on the top of the cup. I had set a media bag filled with carbon on top. In the sump there was another media bag filled with carbon.... I'm using ozone safe tubing :).... that's the only thing I can think of?!? I tried running the luft pump at different settings thinking I may be pushing too much air in, causing the ozone to leak from the "T" opening....

I was thinking about that, but thought the skimmer efficiency may drop too much......

I was thinking about that, but thought the skimmer efficiency may drop too much......

It should not effect the amount of air being pulled into the skimmer. If you use a air pump on a "t" to in ject ozone the residual air that the skimmer is not sucking in will cause a ozone leak.

Don

Back