Pacific Coast CL-450 Chiller

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brookesdesign

I have a CL450 chiller and its not working. What goes wrong with these and what does it take to fix one? It runs but it doesn't sound as loud as it used to when it was running and its not cooling my water.

I'm not sure. I hear it kick on and it sounds like a refrigerator does when it turns on but then it kind of dies out. I took the front cover off and all I can see is a large round cylinder. How do I know if the fan is running?

the fan is typically the one that goes out in those units. I have a friend that has 2 of the same one and both fans went out. They are not cheap to get a replacement from the manufacture but he did find one at a local electric company for like 30 bucks. had to modify mounting bracket but the fan was the same as original. good luck.

if you have more questions ask ac7av on here he is a HVAC guy who helped me with my chiller issues

My first thought is that the compressor is having a startup problem. If this is what’s happening the compressor will start and run for a short period of time, like 2 to maybe 10 seconds and then clicks off. At this point the small thermal switch that protects the compressor from overheating or over currant is tripping out to protect the compressor. This is not the only thing that will cause your symptoms but the most likely. The fix for this is usually a new start relay. They are cheep and can be purchased at nearly any place that sells appliance parts. You can also purchase a 3 in 1 start pack that will look like a large capacitor with wires coming out of it. This is a universal package to allow you to connect it to nearly any compressor electrical configuration. There are clear instructions on the device it self on where the wires go. Do make sure that the fan is working on the unit because this will cause it to over heat as well however this will usually not cause the compressor to turn off in a short time.

I checked there web site and they don’t have any technical data on there that I can find but that is a good size unit. The round thing is going to be the compressor. It should be easy to tell if the fan is working by using a piece of paper on the vent openings one should be blowing air out and another sucking air in when the unit is running. The db rating is pretty low on that so it may be hard to hear the fan over the compressor but the paper trick will tell you if its working. It sound like from the other posts that a bad fan is a good possibility for this unit. If it is a bad fan if you get me the specks off of it I’m sure I could find you a suitable replacement for a lot less then the manufactures original part.

I'm not sure. I hear it kick on and it sounds like a refrigerator does when it turns on but then it kind of dies out. I took the front cover off and all I can see is a large round cylinder. How do I know if the fan is running?

If you open the case, you will see the fan. Can't miss it. If the compressor is on, the fan should be spinning. Replacement fan motors are relativley cheap and really easy to replace your self. Try contacting them and find out who sells replacement parts:
http://www.pacificcoastimports.com/...0102B1279636764737R208W46W235W1Z56861258T5089

I had 'broken' chiller given to me that had a fan motor go out and replaced the motor for less than $40. Works like a champ now and I didn't have to cough up $300+ for the same chiller brand new.

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the input! I'm selling my 90 gal tank and it will sell easier if my chiller is working! Its sickening how little the the tanks are worth on craigslist!

I looked in the case with a flash light and I see the fan in the back. When the compressor kicks on the fan is definitely not running. The fans model number is ydk-2a.

Most of the places that sell PC chillers sell fans for the 650. Take a look and see if they are the same. They are way overpriced. Mcclendons has a bunch of fan motors that may work. PC uses cheap bulk china fan motors most are the same as cheap stove hoods.

Don

It looks like the CL650 has a different fan ($99.00) ouch!. I can't find the ydk-2a fan for the CL450 anywhere. I have an email into PC and I'm waiting to hear back.

Back