Paciific NW Sea Cucumbers.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

elhewman

I am interested in collecting a smaller Sea Cucumber for my Pacific coldwater set up. However, I am having trouble obtaining information on which species are safe for the tank. I am particularly interested in the orange sea cucumber(cucumaria miniata). If you have any knowledge regarding Northern Pacific cucumbers I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

If i remember i'll ask my dad tomorrow, he did a lot of oceanography stuff back when he worked on the NOAA ship. That was a great many years ago, but he did dissect quite a few cucs...

I keep and have kept most of the cucs here in Puget sound.
The miniata is fine as are the Psolus chitonoides. I would be careful with californicus as it is much larger and has the annoying tendency to toss it's gut, fouling the water, if it feels stressed. I have kept them for weeks to show people what they look like, but I have never tried long term.
My personal fav is the Psolus chitonoides, very bright red and they don't move around much.
I have several Eupentacta quinquesemita to help with cleanup, not so pretty but good eaters.

Back