Painting the back of and acrylic tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bosco83

If an acrylic tank came with a blue back ground can you paint it black with Krylon Fusion? If I do paint it would it just get scraped up all the time with rocks and cleaning? I have never used Krylon Fusion I heard it bonds to plastic so thats why I was wondering if it was more scratch resistant?

Thanks,
Brian

Bosco it binds to plastic, but if i were you i would paint the outside back of the tank. As for if its scratch resistant. We use it sometimes to paint vinyl windows and it seems to hold up pretty well

Well yeah... I'm assuming the back of your tank is a clear acrylic right? If you paint the outside of that clear acrylic you will see through the inside and see the color on the outside. If that color is black that's what you'll see. If you draw a smiley face that's what you'll see.

Well yeah... I'm assuming the back of your tank is a clear acrylic right? If you paint the outside of that clear acrylic you will see through the inside and see the color on the outside. If that color is black that's what you'll see. If you draw a smiley face that's what you'll see.

"If an acrylic tank came with a blue back ground can you paint it black with Krylon Fusion?" I'll quote myself:D

i asked a similar question about painting the inside of a sump black....the consensus was that it would be okay if its completely dry. but if you paint the outside black then the outside will be black.

scratch resistant probably not

"If an acrylic tank came with a blue back ground can you paint it black with Krylon Fusion?" I'll quote myself:D

In a word, "NO". It might make it darker though. You would need to "skin" it. Or put a 1/8th inch black piece on top of the inside. This will be more popular in the future in larger tanks due to the higher cost of black acrylic. Then you would have a black back. Jason

Sometimes the blue background is not a colored acrylic, but just a layer of blue pain from the outside. Like the TRUVU tanks. If this is the case, you can sand it off and repaint it black

Back