Parameters for a QT tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishead77

Dork
I did the hyposalinity thing and got rid of the ick. Now I want to put a few more fish in but will QT them first. What parameters should I be testing for my QT tank? Salinity, PH, Alk, temp - anything else? Thanks.

Couldn't say man, but I think you should maybe start a thread is SteveS forum or pm him to respond here. He's really sharp when it comes to quarantine tanks:)

I wouldn't think testing alkalinity would be necessary for quarantining fish... corals maybe.

If you haven't seen it already, here is a good article on QT's in general.

Alk may need testing if pH is a concern but otherwise it's not really needed. The same things you would test for in a FO/starting tank is basically what's needed. Salinity, temp, pH, ammonia (NH3), nitrite and nitrate.

Cheers
Steve

The primary things that people have already noted above are important to test for, including pH, temp., Alk, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and even specific gravity/salinity.

Ideally, you will want to bring your QT parameters around to match your main display tank as closely as possible... this will help reduce the amount of stress the fish expereinces when moving from the QT to the display.

You might even want to consider using changewater from your display tank to place in your QT, especially for several days leading up to when you plan on introducing the fish to the display tank... this will help accomplish what I noted above with regard to having the params as close to each other as possible.

-Jimbob

Back