PC Lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

j.and

Does anyone have experience with 48" 260 WATT 130Wx2 JEBO ODYSSEA AQUARIUM POWER COMPACT, the prices on e-bay are probably to good to be true for a decent light. thanks......

yes, i have used them many many times, they are definately bottom of the barrel, but they have gotten alot better, i think they are 4th or 5th generation, so they have made a fair amount of changes, i would put the light fixtures on par with coralife, but not as good as current, and certainly no where near as nice as the high end german companys like guiesmann and ATI.
but worth the money you pay for them, my advice if you do buy them replace their crappy free bulbs that come with fixture with current sunpaq bulbs...
heres another place you can review all the light fixtures they make....
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=9

J.and,

First - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

The Odyssea is a cheap, inexpensive starter light. If you are starting a tank, the initial output can be quite intimidating... and having something like the Odyssea lights sure help with that.

As long as you understand their lights do tend to lose spectrum much sooner than some of the more expensive brands... and you plan ahead and purchase new lights at about a 6 month interval, vice the typical 9 to 12 months... all should be good.

Personally, when you do replace the lights, order the more expensive ones (hellolights.com has great pricing, by the way)... then you'll be able to go to the longer replacement schedule.

The only other complaint that I have heard... is the ballasts tend to not last "as long" on these units. However, I have heard of several people that have now had their units for about 3 years, original ballasts... and all is fine for them.

Hey thanks for the replies. I have been out of the hobby for about 10 yrs and am really looking forward to getting back into it. I didnt realize the lights were from aquatrader, I have seen alot of negative post about them having fires and what not. You get what you pay for.... thanks again for the info.

hahaha, nice ed we posted at exactly the same time, with similar info...lol

I noticed that also! *grinz*

Hey thanks for the replies. I have been out of the hobby for about 10 yrs and am really looking forward to getting back into it. I didnt realize the lights were from aquatrader, I have seen alot of negative post about them having fires and what not. You get what you pay for.... thanks again for the info.

Welcome back to the hobby then j.and!!! :) We will look forward to future updates, as well as questions and comments from you!

Back