PC vs T-5HO

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ahuntnfool

Flame Angel
I am currently setting up a 29g mixed tank. I will be putting anemones, LPS, and possibly some SPS up higher in the tank. Tank dimentions are 30"L x 12"W x 18"D My question is I have a dual 65w PC fixture by Current. Would this be a sufficiant light for what I would like to do or should I go for the T-5 HO? I figure that I could put 4 x 24w T-5 HO over my tank.

PCs won't offer you very good lighting for your SPS or Anemones. Depending on the species of anemone you get, PCs won't even keep it alive. About the only anemone I'd recommend under PCs would be a Green or Rose Bubble Tip (Entacmaea quadricolor), and even then, PC lighting is iffy. I normally wouldn't recommend any anemone under PCs, however, I kept a Rose Bubble Tip under 2X96 PCs for 3 years and it did just fine.

If you even decide you want a clam, PCs won't be enough lighting at all.

I would highly recommend T5HO, WITH individual reflectors or ICR (individually contoured reflector). They offer MUCH more PAR than PCs and run much cooler. They will also allow you to grow anything you want.

Oh I am sorry. I would delete it but don't know how! Somehow I always find things out the hard way. Please accept my appalogies RF. I think I spelled that wrong.

The T5HOs will no doubt be better and you can fine tune your lighting with different bulbs much easier but I kept two RBTAs in a 40g breeder for 6-8 months under a 96w PC (was a freshwater light though) and a couple 14w T5 bulbs along the side and they were happy.

The 29g is taller than the 40g breeder (I had a 29g with a 150w sunpod next to my 40g) I think you'll be fine with your current light. You can always do better but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Back