Peppermint Shrimp $100.00

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Vicki

Anemone
:lol::lol::lol: Just kidding..... These babies aren't for sale at ANY price. They're priceless; at least to me.

At the PSAS (Puget Sound Aquarium Society) Holiday Party in mid December of 2007, I had three Peppermint Shrimp tanks setup and running. The wild caught parents were in the larger tank and then I had two small tanks with captive bred babies in them. There were two that had 'settled' to the bottom and looked like miniature shrimp in one tank and one that had settled and another still in the water column in the other tank. These babies are considered 'F1', being they are first generation from wild caught parents.

Shrimp carry their eggs with them until they're ready to hatch. When the female decides it's time to release her babies, she usually swims to the top of the water and with several swishing motions, releases all the babies. The parents then quickly start eating them as well as any other critters in the tank until all the babies have disappeared.

I've been lucky to capture enough of the babies to attempt raising them. So far though, I've only been able to raise to maturity three F1 Peppermints. It's not an easy task as the babies remain in the water column for several months before they do the final molt to become real shrimp. You can't imagine how difficult it is to siphon the bottom of the tank and do water changes with these tiny and clear babies.

Shortly after the PSAS party, I noticed that my slightly over three month old F1 'baby' Peppermint was carrying eggs. On Christmas Eve, she presented me with around 100 babies! I had 'goose-bumps' all day long as I was such a proud GrandMa of F2 (second generation captive bred) babies. I still get goose-bumps when I think about it.

This group of babies are doing remarkably well; at least in comparison to the previous ones I'd tried to raise. My F1's didn't settle until they were 10 to 12 weeks. On January 21, 2008, the first of the F2 babies settled! Unheard of and certainly unexpected to see one tiny Peppermint (about the size of a large mysis shrimp) running around on the bottom of the tank! He was only 4 weeks old! There are a total of five that have settled in the batch so far, and they're only seven weeks old! There's probably another 15 or so that hopefully will make it too!

I have two more batches from the same parents at various stages, though the youngest batch doesn't seem to be doing too well. But, there will be more to try to figure out what is the best way to raise these darling little shrimp. So far, I just consider myself VERY lucky!

I've tried and tried to get some good pictures of my babies, but just can't seem to get my camera to cooperate. Plus, before they settle, they're almost transparent and very difficult to see even with the naked eye.

In the first picture below, you can see two of the babies that have settled and behind them, toward the bottom back, are a number of blurs of babies that are still in the water column.

In the second picture, center is a settled baby and behind him there is a little clearer blur of several that are still in the water column. They kind of remind me a miniature Sea Dragons and spiders.

The third picture shows one settled Peppermint and quite a few in back of him that haven't settled yet.

Again, sorry for the blurry shots, but they don't hold still when you're trying to take a picture. I hope these are good enough to give you an idea of what they look like.

Vicki

I'll take 10 please :D. Just kidding. Thats awesome Vicki! Congrats, and keep it up. What are you feeding before they settle out?

Vicki;355814 said:
Again, sorry for the blurry shots, but they don't hold still when you're trying to take a picture. I hope these are good enough to give you an idea of what they look like.

Don't you know - the "daddy" (or at least a surrogate) stands behind you making faces and shaking a rattle so the baby looks good in the picture ...

I'll take 10 please :D. Just kidding. Thats awesome Vicki! Congrats, and keep it up. What are you feeding before they settle out?

Let's see, 10 to Rod and 12 to Fishy.... That would be $2200! :)
I'm certainly not doing this to try to make any money, but at $100 each, it *might* be worth it!

I feed so many different things to all my various babies. With the shrimp, I start out with rotifers and green water. They really aren't too interested in the rotifers though. They also get baby brine shrimp from day one and do eat those readily. I've been using a product recently called ZoPlan (by Two Little Fishies) to gut load the BBS and I've also sprinkled that directly into the Peppermint Shrimp tank. They really seem to like it a lot. I also feed Cyclop-eeze (by Argent), both the freeze dried and frozen. Cyclop-eeze is red and you can easily see the babies munching on it. After they're a few days old, I also sprinkle a pelleted food, almost a powder, called Otohimi which comes from Japan and was developed for saltwater fish fry. Their favorite food after they are a week old is crumbled up Ocean Nutrition Formula One flakes. When they're about two weeks old, I give them larger, crumbled up flakes, and they have a ball floating around the tank carrying a flake larger than they are. It's cute.....

They all swim to the top of their tank when I add any food. It amazes me in their intelligence as compared to clownfish babies at the same age. I use foam paint roller covers over the filter intakes on all babies. The shrimp babies quickly figure out that the BBS are all 'sucked up' against the foam and attack the BBS there. Most of my baby clowns have never figured that out.

It's such a joy watching all these guys learn about life. :)

Vicki

I took about 100 shots of the Peppermints and still didn't get any really good ones, but here are a few which are better and closer up of some of the babies.

The first three are of babies still in the water column. Check out their eyes and the long claws they use to help guide them around.

The last two pictures are of one of the babies that has settled. These show the coloration pretty well.

Vicki

Vicki,
Are those camelback shrimp or peppermint shrimp that may eat aiptasia? for give my ignorance

I had the pleasure to see these in person.
Vicki is a great person who truely loves the hobby.

Most people only "dabble" in the hobby, she has a full time job with the hobby :)

Back