Peppermint Spawning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

flip_3_6_0

While looking at the tank tonight I noticed that one of the shrimp was carrying a very large bundle of eggs. After lights out I did the nightly flashlight thing and noticed that the water column was filled with baby shrimp. This is the 2nd time I've witnessed this in my tank. My question is, I recently added a sump and some macro so if any of the babies find their way into the algae do they have any chance of survival or are they like anything else that requires special care to raise? Also, for those of you that have seen this in their tanks you know how cool it is to see. :)

flip_3_6_0 said:
My question is, I recently added a sump and some macro so if any of the babies find their way into the algae do they have any chance of survival or are they like anything else that requires special care to raise?

The netting often used in wedding decor is what I used to cover all possible places the babies could be sucked into, as soon as most of them were either settled or eaten I removed the netting.

Do you have to do anything special for the shrimp to reproduce? Meaning...ya got a preggers shrimp..and...she lays her eggs...and..is that it? Or do you have to do anything else to help them?

Besides netting areas where they can be sucked up.

There is one preggers shrimp I want to get and try...I am sure my blenny and fish..will eat them more then anything..mm..num num they say. lol

cavyroo said:
Do you have to do anything special for the shrimp to reproduce? Meaning...ya got a preggers shrimp..and...she lays her eggs...and..is that it? Or do you have to do anything else to help them?

Besides netting areas where they can be sucked up.

There is one preggers shrimp I want to get and try...I am sure my blenny and fish..will eat them more then anything..mm..num num they say. lol

I found that netting the shrimp while she still has the eggs and moving her to a tank with minimal or no substrate and a little bit of a current (I used to use airstones) and a few choice plants (non caulerpa) with moderate hiding places (porous rock) makes a great shrimp "fry" raising env.

I would feed them cyclopeze along with a brineshrimp reactor tankside.

Oh ya. I remember you saying that! Wonder ...who makes it? So I can see if I can order it.
Nope! They gave me the day off! lol I am going to go....SHOPPING! WHOO HOO lol

And come by Mail Plus..so I can see your tank..and the refuguim..(spelled wrong)

cavyroo said:
Oh ya. I remember you saying that! Wonder ...who makes it? So I can see if I can order it.
Nope! They gave me the day off! lol I am going to go....SHOPPING! WHOO HOO lol

And come by Mail Plus..so I can see your tank..and the refuguim..(spelled wrong)

Oh, I'll bring you in some on sunday and dig up a link to the website.

Have fun shopping.

I hear I'll get along with everyone over there ehh?

As for your spelling :p, you almost had it. Refugium.

I can also work up a small ~24x6x6 "shrimp reactor" if you want. (if I can find the glass)

Last edited:
Back