PFO 400Watt HQI Pendant

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

meitzler

fraggy
Has anyone had problems with the sockets in the PFO HQI pendants. Two of mine which are less than a year old appear to corrode or overheat to the point that the bulbs malfunction where they plug in on one end. I have two others without the problem Any advise on how do deal with this problem would be welcome. Some suggest the coralvue bulb may be the problem. But they are the only bulb manufacturer for 400W HQI. Others just sell their bulbs with separate labels according to the LFS.

I would call PFO and see if they will send you new tombstones. They should not do that(turn brown). Also could be a ballast problem as well, if its pushing to much and overheating the bulb, it could be that as well.

I can't help with your problem meitzler, but i'm wondering if you can tell me what brand of ballast is in your PFO box? (Assuming it is a 400w PFO HQI ballast)

I have never taken it apart since I do not want to void any warranty. It definitely is a 400W HQI ballast. That is stated on the outside of the PFO ballast box.

I've heard they are 430w HPS ballasts. I don't think taking a few bolts out and looking inside will void the warranty. :D

I am working with the pendant vendor right now. They recommend placing white lithium grease on the double end contacts. I am replacing the contacts right now. So far this vendor has been helpful.

As for the bulb vendor, no response despite the fact that I did leave voice mails with them. Dissappoint with coral vue.

Back