PFO aquatics-soloris LED- what do you know about these lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

I know they are out of business! BUT, some GAVE me 2 units (one 14 in and one 24in)! The only problem was (common problem with these i herd) they only had one power supply. They said one PS stopped working and couldn't find a new one or anyone who wanted to play with them to get both working. So, they said here if you want them, take them they are yours, SURE!!! Not gonna say no, they have been sitting in a closet for a few years now and they replaced them with MH.

OK, so I took them home, a little (i mean alittle) homework. They had a PS prob and went out of business. Many DIY mods to replace PS, but not safe. I found that one PS will work either unit, but not both. So i opened the PS and laughed, hard. They took a common PS (other manufacturer), stuck it in a box, put their sticker on it and called it theirs. Still laughing. Looked up this PS, $30, online, NICE.

Now I have a 14 inch, fully programble, dimmable-LED setup, with moon lights and the whole works! Pretty much plug in, setup or default settings, and forgett it. Full CPU controller, simulates 356 day sun cycle and 28 day moon cycle. And to top it off I am going to keep the 24 inch unit in the closet. These things are fully seviceable, in the feild. So now I have 2 working sets of spair parts!

So, what do you think?

Do you know anything about these LED lights? Could use all the knowledge you great people have to offer. What are the GREEN lights for, haven't herd of this?

guess not!

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about these lights other than they went out of business and bad power supllies?

Are they good lights? What are the green LEDs? that kind of stuff. I am setting up another system, and i am going to use these lights. Is there a better power supply system to use instead of the switching computer type PFO used?

thank you for saying so, no one seems to chime in?

I can't seem to find anyone who has experience with them? From what i have read, they were suppost to be the lights of the future, be they are CPU controlled. And i have only read from the net, not always accurate, rather hear it from someone who used them.

Thank You Jeff

There are several people who had these lights "Back in the Day". Unfortunately they got strong-armed out of business by another "Aquatic LED" company.

I know of a fellow reefer who had them over her larger tanks and she was constantly having electrical problems with them. Her husband (a true rocket scientist working for NASA) took them apart and totally rewired them to be more "modern" (My term not his LOL) and I haven't heard her mention them in a long time.

They were going to be the next great thing but at the time LED supplies were scarce so they were expensive. Unfortunately LED technology has changed a lot since their time and the "CPU Controlled LED" was the sticking point of the patent which is why nothing else came along quickly to replace it. If memory serves me correctly it was the combination of a CPU controller and LED over an Aquarium which is in the other companies PATENT (questionable but they had deeper pockets).

I'll PM my friend and ask if they are still using their Solaris units.

There are several people who had these lights "Back in the Day". Unfortunately they got strong-armed out of business by another "Aquatic LED" company.

I know of a fellow reefer who had them over her larger tanks and she was constantly having electrical problems with them. Her husband (a true rocket scientist working for NASA) took them apart and totally rewired them to be more "modern" (My term not his LOL) and I haven't heard her mention them in a long time.

They were going to be the next great thing but at the time LED supplies were scarce so they were expensive. Unfortunately LED technology has changed a lot since their time and the "CPU Controlled LED" was the sticking point of the patent which is why nothing else came along quickly to replace it. If memory serves me correctly it was the combination of a CPU controller and LED over an Aquarium which is in the other companies PATENT (questionable but they had deeper pockets).

I'll PM my friend and ask if they are still using their Solaris units.

That would be awesome. If you can find out what he did to his lights, i am pretty good with electronics and any tips would help. Most of the problems i herd were due to the power supply.

Got them free, might as well use them right? If they need to be rewired, i will do that. But if you can get tips, that would be outstanding!
Thanks brother

I still have a functioning unit, but would love a spare power supply. Who makes the one you found online?

Back