PH-How high is too high?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishead77

Dork
I've started using pickle lime in my top off water. The ph has gone from 8.0 to 8.4. The top of the color scale on my test kit is 8.6. At what level does the ph become to high? Above 8.6?

I believe pH is a logarithmic scale. Every little bit more is a lot more! Sorta like earthquakes.

8.4 is fine. 8.6 is on the high end of acceptable IMO. I wouldn't worry unless it starts to drift even higher.

Also keep in mind your pH will fluctuate throughout the day. Test it just before "lights on" and again several hours afterwards.

My tank is having pH of 8.5 lights on, 8.4 lights off, no calcium reactor. I think it is a bit too high because some of my corals die much faster than others.

BTW, try test it with a electronic pH monitor. I used a hagen test kit before and it always tell me that it is 7.9-8.0, not until I try a electronic pH monitor that i found out it's 8.5. Yep, it's calibrated properly.

mine flucuates between 8.2 and 8.4, i just add C-balance once a week. although i think that i am going to change to powder.

Well I would trust the pinpoint monitor over the test kit if you say it's calibrated properly. I don't think a pH of 8.4-8.5 is a reason for your corals to die, there's probably other causes. Without details it's hard to speculate.

Back