PH Probe anomaly/controller issues?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyTemple

So I recently purchased an american marine PH controller and hooked it up last night after calibrating the probe and I'm very confused with the developments.

I set the "high point" for 6.75 (Arm media) and mid point at 6.45 (meaning that's when it will stop sending CO2 into the reactor. My probe is nestled in the Koralin 1502 right were it should be and was reading well when I went to bed. This morning it was reading at 14.82 and releasing CO2 (thankfully in a moderately controlled manner because I didn't have the Solenoid full out) into the reactor. I tried to bleed a bunch of the water through it thinking that it would bring it down and also tried closing the effluent and letting the CO2 bubble to bring the level down. It ended up at 14.9!!! So thinking that technology had tricked me I ran a test on the effluent (gee what a thought!) and found that the effluent is right where it should have been, 6.5-6.7. Grrr, so after wasting over a gallon of "run off" I figure out that the probe isn't working properly. Has anyone ever run into this type of issue or is this my lucky day?

Another odd thing, is that when the probe got near it's shut off point, the controller got quite noisy making a buzzing sound and then it would click off after about 15 seconds of the sound.

I'm concerned that I got a faulty system!

Thoughts?:confused:

Its odd that your pH probe would even read that high. If I remember highschool chemistry the pH scale maxes out at 14 and something with that high of a pH would cause burns to your skin.

it's now reading 14.97 - I KNOW that it's between 6.5 - 6.7

Very crazy eh?!

I have to wait for hubby to come home to get the probe out so that I can recalibrate it - I'm due to have a baby on Sunday and can't quite fit under the sump right now!

Well, here's a "learn from my mistake" moment.

I've been speaking with the people who make the probe and he asked me if I used the Korallin 1502 recepticle which holds the probe in the reactor. He let me know that when we tightened the probe into the port, it caused a hairline fracture in the probe, thus breaking it.

For all of you getting a probe and planning on using the port - be careful when you tighten it - although we were very very careful - it was still leaking and I guess when we tightened it that extra bit - snap. :(

I hate spending money to have it lost overnight! SIGH

Back