Phoenix 14k vs Ushio 10k

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CABBIE

Hi all. This is my first post on this forum. I would like to ask for your experience/opinion on lighting. I have an 80gal SPS dominated reef that has been set up for 2 1/2 years. All water parameters are stable/good.

About a year ago, I switched from 520w of PC to a Sunlight Supply Maristar fixture with 2x250w 10k Ushio + 2x54w actinic T5. I like the fixture a lot, and the growth rate of my corals is incredible compared to the old PC; however, I am disappointed with two things - color and algae.

I actually had better color in my SPS under PC than I do now under the Ushio 10k. I also deal with algae under the 10k Ushio, when I never had this problem under the PC. My question is whether I might see improvement on both issues by changing my bulbs.

My Ushios are almost a year old now and I would like to replace them. I have spent a lot of time on Sanjay's lighting comparison chart and have found the Phoenix 14k to have a similar spike in the 440-460 range but still offer more PAR across the spectrum than a 20k bulb. The Phoenix also appears to offer more PAR overall than the Ushio 10k as well.

Is the Phoenix 14k a good bulb, and would its' spectral characteristics improve the color of my SPS and reduce the growth of nusiance algae versus the Ushio 10K? Or am I kidding myself?

Last edited:
you will always get better color with a 20 k and better growth with a10k. i think the algae is dur to the bulbs being so old. i think a 14k would be a good compromise

I have Phoenix 14k's in my Maristar right know and all I can say as wow. They have allot more blue than the 10k BLV's I was using. In only took two weeks for corals to start coloring up/brighter, vibrant colors. I don't think you can go wrong with the Phoenix 14ks if you like a little blue. If you are local to me you can come over and look for yourself.

Last edited:
I think the difference between the Phoenix 14k and Ushio 10k, in my opinion, and by my observation is basically "blue" vs. "yellowish white".

As 'loohunter' has said, the latter for growth, the blue for 'looks nicer'. IMO, Phoenix is too blue for me....and Ushio is too yellow for me....so what do I do....
I use the XM10k ;)

Best,
Ilham

Back