phosban reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tony2005

ok i know there alot of u guys and gals have a phosban reactor,i was wondering do u reefers run the reactor 24/7?i already have the reactor all plump up and running and i have a penguin 550 pump on it and i set the valve till i saw the phosban media moving around like it boiling.so hopefully i got flow set up right.plus i need to know how much phosban media do i put in the reactor?it saids 50g for 50gal,but i need to know how much is 50grams:| :)

50 grams is about 2½ tablespoons. I don't use a reactor or Phosban (Roawphos) but I use the P media 24/7. Be careful the flow through the reactor is not too fast. The particles will collide and begin to disintegrate.

Cheers
Steve

I use the TLF phosban reactor and what I usually do is just put the whole 150grams in a measuring cup and seperate it in thirds (1/3). Each 1/3 would be 50 grams. I agree with Steve about the flow. I have my flow to the point where there is only a little surface agitation of the media and sometimes not even the whole surface is aggitated. You'd want to keep an eye on the reactor as well whenever you cut power to it because with such low pressure, sometimes the pump has trouble restarting and usually I have to open up the ball valve a bit to get the water flowing and then close it back to the point where I want it. HTH Tony...

Yeah you need to leave it running, Turning off a sealed system on a reef tank is bad, the bacteria will use up all the oxygen quickly and start making bad things that get pumped into your tank when you turn it back on.

you guy are awesome,thanks for the help:Done more thing is it true that the phosban media will drop your ph if u over do it?:confused:

yes its true, it will pull the alk out if it is way over done. I have used double reccomended dose with no ill effects, but it was a accident that I did it. Failure to follow directions. LOL

What is the best media considering all the options out there? RowaPhos, Phosban, Kent Power Phos. Also is there a real difference between the Kent and TLF reactors?

I saw a study that found very little difference between rowaphos, and phosban. The others I cant account for, as I had decided between those two, and then went with the one that costs half as much.

Do you use it in a reactor, canister filter, or just in the sump? Also, I saw that phosguard appears cheaper than both of those in my area, but I do not know how effective it is for the same quanity. The others are all about the same price in this area. Thanks for the input.

Be wary with Phosguard if you have corals. Aluminum oxide based granuals can/will cause coral bleaching. If this is an FO or FOWLR then it would be much less of a concern. Otherwise stick with an iron based P sponge.

Cheers
Steve

I use it in a reactor. I have used it in a bag just in the sump. It seems to be much more effective in a reactor.
Like Steve S. I would reccomend the iron based, rowa, or two little fishies brands.
The aluminum ones are more dangerous, and some of them and others can rerelease the phosphate.

How Much Rowaphos in a Kent Reactor

How much rowaphos should I put in the Kent phosphate reactor? I put in the suggested 150g, but that looks like such a small amount considering the size of the reactor.

Thanks

The amount of media used should be based on the approximate water volume of the system, not the amount the reactor can hold. If you use to much you can risk negatively impacting the alkalinity.

Cheers
Steve

Hello All. About the difference between Phosban and ROWAphos, there is a study report you can read on our web site that will answer that question.

About the amount to use in a reactor, that depends on how often you want to service the reactor. No mater the reactor, I fill it half way. I control the amount of water that goes through the reactor. I always start out with something just over drops coming out of the reactor. You can always turn up the flow if the phosphate level does not drop slowly over the first few weeks.

Hi:

So for a Kent Marine reactor, I can fill it half way and not work about any PH issues. I am using a 100 gal / hour pump which creates good particle motion. But the 150ml, fills less the 10% of the reactor.

Thanks, I really appreciate your input.

I am not sure what pump you are using, but I have used the Hydor L20 on the Kent reactors. The nice thing about these pumps is they have a built in flow control and a prefilter sponge.

I ensure no pH drop, a very slow flow is recommended to start.

Back