Phosban w/out a reactor?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rjarnold

Frogfish Aficionado
I have a nano tank and there's just not much room for the phosphate reactor, which is sad as I just bought it new. But as the amount of media is so low, is it reasonable to just put it in a mesh bag and throw it in the sump? I could potentially hang the reactor in the sump by slinging it into the freshwater auto-top-off reservoir, but of course that takes up space that freshwater could otherwise have.

On the directions of a container of PhosGuard it says:
"It may be used in a canister filter, box filter, or any high flow area of a trickle filter."
You are going to need the mesh bag.

I wouldn't think PhosGuard and Phosban would be that much different.

yep.... i have a bag of the media in a like 5 micron bag... of something.. (i think its 10micron) for the bag... i place it in my sump inbetween the last to baffles.. (like a filter) clean ever other day. and then skip a day,

i also have a 1 micron bag that i place just in a HOB filter as like mechanical filtration... i rinse that every other day... and use it maybe 1 or twice a week..

just rinse it great b4 adding

The WM stuff works better for this application.

Don

I would have to agree with Don here unless you want to pull a bag of Iron Oxide every other day, squoose the media bag, rinse with RO/DI water, and then replace it for another two days. I.e. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

There is also an alternative to the conventional reactor called the simplicity reactor. Tiny little in sump unit made for small tanks, much better than the bag option.

Don

There is also an alternative to the conventional reactor called the simplicity reactor. Tiny little in sump unit made for small tanks, much better than the bag option.

Don

i love those things!! they are really cool!! and so damn tiny!
super simple and built like a tank
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpG-cNqUXyM

but isnt there a special chamber in that elos sump for media?? or is that just the bigger ones?

Last edited:
i found that it is not effective in a high flow area.... i have some PhosGuard in a canister filter, doesn't work to effectively.... Luckily i know someone willing to give me a Phosban Reactor

Back