Phosphate high in 240 gallon tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

danny240

I have a 240 gallon tank and I had someone to check my water and My phosphate was really high so I did a 90 gallon water change but he suggested that I get a phosban reactor to run on the system. So I checked on a system and they are rated for up to 150 gallon tanks only. Is this enough or do I need to do something else? I am just starting out with corals it was a fish only now I want corals. I want to be able to keep hard and soft corals. I have 2-250 watt mh and 1-400 watt mh on my tanks so I should have enough lighting for what I want. I am using a dolphin 2700gph pump for my wave making current. My main concern is what do I need to keep my water paremeters down. my ph stays good the only thing I dont know about is alkalinity and phosphate stuff like this for sps corals. Do I have to keep stuff in my sump to control these. As far as carbon, phosban media what else do I need to add in my tank. I am adding kalkwazer in a drip method. my calcium level is at 425.

The phosban reactor will work you will just have to change the media more often, or you could get two if you want. If I remember correctly you cured your live rock in the tank with the sand bed right? It is going to take a while to get your phosphate down with large water changes and phosban. It works. There is no quick way to do this.
If your using new life specturm like I remember you dont need to change food.

Here is the deal.
240 gallons if you do a 20 gallon water change you are only removing 12% of the phosphate. If you do 120 in one day you have removed 50%.
If you were at 2ppm you are now at 1 ppm. If you do another 120 gallon change the very next day you are @ .5ppm still to high, so another 120 gallon change the next day you are @.25 ppm getting closer, another 120 gallon change the next day you are @.125 ppm that or less is where you want to be.
So you need to do frequent massive water changes and use phosphate absorbing media, and grow your algae fast the way I was telling you. If you want to succede.
Here is another thing to take into account. If your sand bed is holding phosphate and I believe it is it will release it back into the water colum as you remove it from the water colum. So you will need to do those water changes and use that media.
There really are no shortcuts or easier softer ways that I know of. Once you get it right its fairly easy to keep it right.

Back